focusing problems

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by rocksgirl, Jul 9, 2007.

1. rocksgirl

rocksgirl Guest

Does anyone else have problems focusing when the background is all the same color. Saturday we came upon five deer in the back of a cotton field that was surrounded by pine trees on three sides with kudzu. I knew the deer were too far away for a real decent up close shot with my 300mm but I figured I could zoom in with the pc and make fairly decent pics out of them. I was sickened to see that when zoomed in, my pics were out of focus even though, looking at them at correct size they appeared focused.

My eyes are not great, I have a rather large eye prescription. But, gee, it was so depressing to have some really good shots that I can't do anything with. And thought when taking the pics that they were in focus.

Nikon D80, 70-300mm

2. Christy, You can't blame the camera or lens until you know that is where the trouble is. You sound like it was along photo to start with and from what you state there don't sound lke much contrast for the camera to read and focus. Why don't you try taking a few with the lens in suspect at a $5 bill and make it as close as the lens will allow. There is a lot of detail on money (if it's good):wink: and if you get sharp photos there than it's either you or your to far and trying to make a bad photo good. If the bill comes in OOF than try another lens and if this is good than you know it's your lens and if bad it's your camera and will need to be sent to Nikon for repair.
    Lou

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Need a tripod:>))) for those shots especially.

4. rocksgirl

rocksgirl Guest

Thanks ya'll, I'll try your suggestion Lou, but Gale, I know your exactly right. I took the shots out of the truck window!! Grrrr!!!, Still beautiful to see.

5. yup ... tripod is a must. don't worry, there's always next time