focusing screen

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by cwilt, Jun 1, 2005.

1. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Anyone changed the focusing screen from the installed one? Which did you prefer?

2. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    I'm curious about this too.
    Just to let you know, I have REMOVED it for cleaning, but never changed it. It is very easy to do.
    What I want to know is if the x-tra one provided with the D2X is any different/better.

3. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Pat,

It seems like its just us with these questions. I may try the other just say I did it. :lol:

4. William

William Guest

I have all 3 of the D2X screens and use the E grid for landscapes, tthe original installed screen for sports and PJ, and the B screen for macro (as generalizations).

The E and B screens are essentially identical to those for the F5/F100 and I think they work very well.

5. I have never used the other screen because I don't know what they are used for individually but now that William has described them, I may have to.

BTW, when changing these screens, is it very easy to get dirt on the sensor. I'm one of those people that freak if a dust bunny gets on the sensor because I'm not good at cleaning the sensor myself.

Thanks,

6. I have found that I am doing more and more manual focusing with the D2X. The screen that comes on the camera seems to work pretty well for this.

In particular, if there are any regular patterns in the image, I see a shimmer when the pattern is in perfect focus. Funny how I never noticed this until I went looking for it.

So far as dust goes, I bought all of the gear to clean sensors, but I have never once had to use it. I will check for dust now and again, and when I see it I am finding a few good blasts with a Giotto rocket works quite well.

Now, does one expose the sensor when changing screens? I wouldn't think you need to do that.

7. mcampos

mcampos

Apr 14, 2005
    Norwalk, CA
    I thought that the other screen that comes with the camera is the same as the one installed, except that it does not have the grid for the cropped mode, am I mistaken?

8. I have all 3 screens myself, removed the original and put the E grid in it now and prefer it.............helps me with crop mode as well.

9. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Thanks for the info. When time permits I will change the screen and how I like it. :)

10. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Keith,

Where did you get all the screens. I got only one extra with my D2X. Just curious and sure don't want to miss anything :lol:

Best to you,
    Gaye

11. I bought the E grid screen, so now I have the other 2 which I probably will never use. LOL...............so your not missing anything Gaye

take care
    Keith