Fog and No Fog~one Raptor, One Boat, Many Shorebirds

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jfenton, Nov 6, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Yesterday was supposed to be one of those rare 70 degree fall days and it actually was...unless you were within 10 miles of the coast!

The morning started strangely just after dawn as I watched a mature, jumbo sized red tail hawk chasing big grasshoppers and chowing down on them in a newly mowed salt marsh field. This was a tough shot, being taken at 1/20 of a second, ISO 800. I used the self timer on this one with the 0.4 second delay for the mirror.

original.

Next, I headed down to the beach and I managed one shot before the fog rolled in so thick that I literally couldn't see 25 feet. This is a Sanderling snoozing at dead low tide along the edge of the wavers (it's hazy due tot the fog).

View attachment 17803

I went home for a while and after lunch Jeannie and I headed back...since it was sunny and 66 at home. As soon as we arrived on the island, the fog rolled back in and the temperature dropped to 46! The fog came and went and I did get a few decent opportunitied...some with nice afternoon light and some not so nice.

First...a Semipalmated sandpiper soaking up some afternoon warmth with his nap...
    View attachment 17804

Next, a dunlin scratching an itch and then settling in for his afternoon siesta...
    original.
    original.

Two dunlins in the fog:
    original.

A Great Black Backed Gull resting:
    View attachment 17808

A Semipalmated plover very late through a hole in the fog that allowed a bit of nice light:
    View attachment 17809

A sorta strange sailboat contraption that appeared out of nowhere through the fog out on Plum Island Sound:
    original.

And lastly, a Semipalmated plover just moments after the sun had set:
    original.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Ohhhhh I did it again. Forgot to hit submit.

Lets see what did I say.

Ohhh yeah. All the bird shots are great. Love affect of the fog.

Love the sailboat out of nowhere. Good title also :>))

(now hit submit gale)

3. I think the gull shot is my favorite, Jim! I really like the effort you put into setting up your shots. The low angles make for really impressive shots!

4. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi Kevin

These low angle shots also keep my knees damp lots of the time :)

They are interesting in that they do get a better perspective of the subject.

I always study my shots (when time permits of course) or I'll do a representative study if I know that a particular type of shot opportunity might present itself more than once.

Sometimes it doesn't take a whole lot change of perspective to make a big difference in the final outcome.

5. Guess Gale & I will have to start lying on our bellies at Viera and try out this technique! Just hope the vultures aren't around! :)

6. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    I'd worry more about...

The Cara Cara's. They love dead looking meat :)

7. Love the low angle shots as with Kevin I like the gull...now I wonder where the hell a deer tick could come from... lying on the ground in a swamp....hmmmmm let me guess! Been there done that the antibiotics tore up my stomach. hope your treatment is going well

8. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi Mike

I am feeling less overall crappy. I'm still dealing with what I call roving joint swelling and pain and weird stabbing muscle pains as well. It's strange in that it seems to manifest itself in one place for about 4-6 hours, them rapidly goes away and then in a matter of another hour, it manifests itself somewhere else.

Definitely not a fun disease.

At least I'm feeling good enough to be able to get out and shoot again :)

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Great series Jim. :smile:

I spent most of the weekend scouting for opportunities like these. Not much luck though. :cool:

10. I was lucky found the little bugger buried in my inner thigh the day he bit me took myself and him to the Doc the next day started me right off on an antibiotic treatment

11. Awesome series Jim, been a while since I have seen your pics. Not much not to like :smile: but luv the plovers!!! Cool shot of the sailboat as well. Nice to hear you have been out shooting, therapeutic at its best!!!!!

12. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Thanks Keith

It is indeed therapeutic :)

13. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Like the angle for sure really adds to the shots
    Like the raptor and feel your pain on how tough that was but you pulled it off really well
    Sailboat out of nowhere is just cool in a haunting way :biggrin:

excellent set loved em all

14. Wonderful series Jim. I also like the low angles.