Foggy Coastline

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by gmaker1, Oct 25, 2005.

1. OK. Time to put myself to the test. Please give me an honest critique of this image. It was taken on Route 1 outside of Santa Cruz, Ca on a foggy afternoon. I am interested in the following: compsition, mood, line, color, anything that the image brings up in you.

Thanks,

2. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Gil,
    Honest critque. I think the mood is good but there is no place for your eye to start in the picture, e.g. a tree or a bush on the bluff, or even a a spot of color any where. Also, there may not have been enough clear visibility because nothing in the picture seems sharp or well defined. If this were my picture, that's how I would analyze it.

Mike

3. Thanks Mike. I see what you mean.

Gil

4. Here's my opinion.

It's not a compelling image. There's no subject. The color? What color. Line? Just the standard horizontal and vertical lines. The lines in the water might be compelling if you could see them a little clearer. Composition? Well - it's a bit lopsided with the land mass on the right and then a bunch of blank space on the left.

The biggest reason why this image fails is lack of: color, compelling subject matter and meaningful composition. Just my opinion.