Folded wing skippers

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Jerry Snider, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    A couple of pics of an unidentified folded wing skipper taken this morning. Yep, more of those drab, colorless butterflies!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jerry Snider

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jerry,

How many times do we have to tell you? These ain't drab. :lol:

I like them both, especially considering the contrast with the colorful background. Makes the subject really stand out in the image.

3. Jerry I like the first one a lot.

4. Jerry, I'll second Gilles. I really like the first one.

How close do you have to get with the 200 micro for these shots?

5. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Thanks for the input, folks.
    Dennis, I was likely ca 2' away then cropped the pic a bit. Both pics to me are a bit "busy" but simply couldn't get the skipper in the proper position for a really good pic. The leaf in the 2nd pic certainly detracts, and skippers are quite fuzzy things so never seem to look crisp in a photo.
    Likely the best skipper photo I have is of Peck's Skipper.
    [​IMG]

Taken with a D70, 80-200 2.8 ED Nikkor and 5T diopter.

Jerry Snider

6. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Jerry,

These are just spectacular. I love them. You handle the 200micro well. Wish I had one!

7. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Thanks, Patrick. Word has it that Adorama, B&H, and numerous other stores carry this particular lens :wink: !! Would go well with that superb camera of your's!
    Jerry Snider

8. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Believe me I know they have them. I'm just not going to let LL get to me.

9. Had to send a note. Jerry, they are great pics. the color and sharpness are really fantastic.
    Pete

10. Simply beautiful images Jerry. The color and sharpness is excellent.