Follies: 30 1.4/ 35 1.4/ 50 1.2 - Use Hoods?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by kgill, Aug 4, 2008.

1. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    Hi,

Based on my not so scientific research of lenses for my household, we've decided to purchase the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 (good prices around), the Nikon 35mm f/1.4 AIS (thanks to Chamster!), and the 50mm f/1.2 AIS (my husband's choice).

Hoods are available separately for the 50mm f/1.2 and the 35mm f/1.4 AIS. I know some people are always interested in having all the accessories produced for a particular lens, but I was wondering if for any other merits, I should get hoods for these two?

Thanks!!
    Kristina

P.S. I know some of you may say-- why have the 30mm and the 35mm...or maybe you won't...but I decided, one is FF and can move with us, the other is DX. One's a quick easy option, one is for its unique signature as a lens. I contemplated the 35mm f/2.0 AF, and still haven't ruled it out, but I wanted to explore use of the 35mm f/1.4 AIS. Later I will be able to decide if it's the right lens for me... Also people have suggested have both the 30mm and the 35mm (either AIS or MF) so there you go... Like Winnie the Pooh who couldn't decide between condensed milk and honey with his bread, I too have chosen both. :smile:

2. Hi.

I use a hood on any of my lenses - anytime. Not just for IQ issues (noticing later I should have used one would really annoy me), but also for protection against mechanical or weather influence.

Considering the price of lens hoods and lenses, it's a lot of protection for a very low price.

Regards

Mattes

3. arela

arela

Jan 15, 2008
    Norway
    I use rubber hoods for 35 and 50mm.
    Maybe a little more protective than the old metalhood, but i keept falling off, so...

My only lens without hood, is AF 60mm micro.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hoods, yes. Cool on you for deciding to try out both the 30 and 35. One can never have too many normal lenses.

5. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    thank you nick. i read through it, and notwithstanding having scored very high marks in physics, i understood about 2% of it. the part that said you should always use a lens hood.

all jokes aside... it is good to learn the technical explanations to the whys and hows of photography because it does help you in certain situations, and i appreciate very much that you pointed out that resource to me.

I better get on the hood train then. I gotta find that 50 f/1.2 for my husband though. A R G H. I was trying to convince someone to sell me his spare, but he has a very deep loving attachment to it that I was unable to shake!

k

6. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

i'm big on HOOD, hood is GOOD!

;-)))

7. K, glad I could be of some help

8. arela

arela

Jan 15, 2008
    Norway
    And let him use it from time to time :)

9. The Nikon hoods are nice for protecting the front of the lens(better to bash the hood into a rock than the front of the lens), as has been stated, but don't do a helluvalot about stray light; some, but not much. Better off-axis light control can be had with a compendium-type shade, whose opening can be set more closely and exactly to the edges of the camera frame: Mamiya made some that can be had used for $50-$75. These bellows-type shades are not as simple and rugged as the simple metal or rubber ones, however.

10. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    well this opens up another discussion, which is how evident is the presence of the stray light? is it only in adverse conditions? or is it just a tiny annoyance for the trained eye? i think i may not be skilled enough at photography to notice these degradations of quality due to stray light if it's not severe...

k

11. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    It lowers contrast. If that's a good thing, then 'no fault ...' you know.