Follow up to do you always have your camera

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott Sherman, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Thanks for playing. This is a follow up to a previous thread I started, which asked the question, do you always carry your camera?

For those of you who have not gone to the other thread in which I asked the question, I will paste it here again, so apologies to those of you who read my question previously. This is a link to the previously asked question https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=123880

Perhaps the follow up question then should be, for those of you who carry your camera, are you glad you do or has it just become a hassle? In other words, are you taking advantage of having it for those off chance grabs of life's unexpected moments, (those times when the rest of you always say, oh man, I wish I had my camera!!!) Or have you started to wonder why you lug that thing and never really use it? And if you have it but don't really use it, is it because you don't have the right lens on or it's too much work to set it up or you just are too lazy to pull it out of the back seat and then the moments passes?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. If I go out on a photography mission I usually can be very creative and come back with an impressive number of decent images. If I just happen to have a camera, my creative keeper rate goes way down. I take the camera out for deliberate sessions. I do not mind missing grab shots.

3. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    I get both of those feelings. :) Although, if you feel like you are lugging it, maybe you need something lighter/smaller. I do not mind carrying my 'small' kit of a d2h + 28 prime at all. What I do somewhat mind is carrying 2 d2 class bodies, 28 prime, 70-200 zoom, backpack full of accessories. That is the setup that makes me think "hmmm do I really need to bring all of this to the restaurant." :)

So, if I am done with an assignment of sorts (that needed the bag), if I am going to some place to relax, I will probably drop off the bag somewhere first but bring the "small kit" of the d2h + 28. ;)

4. Funny thing...for a long time, I carried my camera bag around at work. It's a Domke F1-X loaded down with gear and it weighs a ton. I rarely used any of it - it just seemed to be too much trouble (or perhaps I got lazy). Either way, I haven't been carrying it lately. Last week, I was patrolling one of our parks when a bear ran across the road in front of me. I had to hit the breaks pretty hard to avoid running over it. When it got to the side of the road, it turned and looked at me for about 15 seconds - it seemed to almost have an indignant look on its face. And there I sat - wishing I had a camera - just staring back.

I'll be getting a D70 in a couple weeks. I've already bought peet's 18-55, got a SB-400, and I'll pick up a lightweight lens-to-be-named-later for the long end. I'll keep all this lightweight stuff in a Lowepro MicroTrekker 100 that I picked up this week. When I finally collect all this gear, I won't have the "it's too heavy" excuse to fall back on.

5. I carry a bunch of stuff usually because it's easier to keep it in my SUV and then it's there whenever and wherever I need it. I don't look for things to shoot during my working week, normally, but if I take off early or happen to be somewhere I don't frequent, I may take advantage of that. Like Dave Watts though, my best stuff comes when I'm prepared and my mindset is on photography solely.

6. I had a golen opportunity to take some pics that I have been trying to set up for some time now, but was without camera:frown: Funny thing is that I looked at my camera before I left the house that day and thought, I brought it last time and it just sat in the car, why bother. Better to have it there and not need it than need it and not have it there!:cool:

7. Very rarely without camera at work or elsewhere

I missed the first thread, but I spend a great portion of some projects in my mobile office, a Ford F-250, and would be lost without my camera.

Here a couple of shots taken at work that I never would have gotten if I didn't always have it ready and available.

Rio Grand Valley, Texas
    59994354.original.

59994353.original.

59994254.original.

Central Wyoming
    67289251.original.

67289241.original.

I know, somebody has to do it.

John

8. Rockdog

Rockdog

Jan 28, 2006
    Canmore, Canada
    For awhile I carried it with too much stuff, and consequently I stopped carrying it around.

These days I usually carry it around with the 45p and nothing else. Seems like when I am just about to stop carrying it around I get a shot.

9. Sunesha

Sunesha

May 3, 2007
    Malmoe, Sweden
    I never leave the house without my tripod in a bag, 3-4 lenses in the camerabag. The times I dont carry all if am meeting friends at the evening at the pub. My friends got used to I look like a walking donkey.

10. I will always carry me D200 / grip, 79-200 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 10-20mm, SB800 misc filter, battery and expo disk along with a bogen mono pod in a Lowepro aw 200 sling and when I don't I always have a P&S with me. I don't regret caring them and have used then on occasion but not all the time. It seems that every time I go out w/o a camera, something occurs and I end up kicking my self in the butt. so now I DON'T LEAVE HOME WITH OUT ONE.

11. Sunesha

Sunesha

May 3, 2007
    Malmoe, Sweden
    I hate when the whole sky turn into magic and I have to run home grabbing the camera. Then the clock is ticking in my head. Tick-tack, and lights is fading I get panic as I know location I want snap.

Heh. I even went home in taxi and drove all over town fetch my camera and went back. Just to grab the lighting 1 minute later the light was gone. Such moment is just fun ;-)

12. Ghunger

Ghunger

Apr 2, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I pretty much always carry my D80 and 18-200 with me. The other two lenses come along sometimes, but not always. It's not a superlight kit to carry, but it's very versatile.