Food for Thought

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PhotoByMark, Oct 27, 2005.

1. NikonCafe is worldly community. I thought it would be fun and interesting to hear about the foods/dishes that your neck of the woods is known for (or not).

For example, if you had out of town guests coming to visit for 2 or 3 days and they have never been to visit you before what types of restaurants would you take them to or what food would you make for them?

It is late at night I must be hungry or something..... :smile:

Anyway, I am in South Texas so if you came to visit me I would probably be most inclined to take you to:
    1) Mexican Food on the River Walk or to some of the more yummy - Hole in the wall places.
    2) BBQ or some of our higher end Steak Places
    3) Or perhaps a place that serves up Giant Texas Size Burgers or Chicken Fried Steak.
    4) Oh this is neat: There is a new restaurant that just opened up here in the hill country. It is called "Katrina's". It is Cajun food. The owner lost everything in the Katrina Storm and ended up here and opened up a little place on Hwy 46. It is pretty good too!
    5) And of course, if my company were not big meat eaters then there are some more lite venues that we could go to also. :biggrin:

Well, you get the idea by now I hope.
    Let's here about your local cuisines and specialties...

2. Gosh Mark, it is only early morning and you got me salivating :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Come to Montreal and you would be very well served in a choice of restaurants. You will have a vast choice of all cuisines.
    Our specialty reflects the french heritage: many fine french restaurants.
    When stopping for a bite to eat during the day, the two local winners are:
    Poutine: fries, cheese, all covered with a sauce - simple and delicious.
    Smoked meat (originated in the jewish community): From a brisket of smoked meat, served on rye, with a bit of cole slaw and a big pickle. Have this once and you will want more for the rest of your life. Ex-Montrealers coming back to visit have this very high on their "to-eat" list. The "High Temple" of smoked meat is an unsightly little restaurant called "Schwartz's smoked meat" on St. Laurent street. Some will argue that you are not a real Montrealer until you have had lunch there - preferably while standing up during lunchtime!!

Montreal's real specialty though is WINTER. So, many hearty local dishes to choose from, particularly during the winter season - too many to mention.

All of this overwhelms some visitors though: I spent a nice day with Cafe member Rich Gibson and his bride Carolyn when they were visiting this spring. After a day's walking and shooting he would only have one thing: Italian :eek: :eek: Go figure.... (OK, OK, just kidding Rich :biggrin: :biggrin: ).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2005
  3. Odd you bring up food. Our office is having a Fall Festival (Halloween) party today. Everyone brings a dish or contributes something. Last night I broiled three flank steaks marinated in Soy sauce-Orange Juice, garlic, ginger, thyme, dijon, and pepper. Mmmmmmmm! I had to try some this morning. I can hardly wait 'till noon!

Rich

4. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    I am in Southern California, so great Mexican food is readily available. The proximity of LA also means more international restaurants as well. At my home you would probably get Indian, since I am a Brit.

5. Frits - Now we are talking! Mmmmmm.

Rich-That sounds yummy. Save me a peice!

Patrick- I miss Southern California/Arizona Mexican Food! Good stuff.

Keep em coming.....

6. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I live in the Alabama, soooo...

How does buttermilk fried chicken sound? It's crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside. Homemade mashed potatoes and gravy. Fried Green tomatoes. A tall glass of sweet tea w/lemon. And to finish it all off....Jack Daniel's laced pecan pie....or maybe lemon meringue pie for dessert....

I love this thread...But as I've mentioned before, I'm a foodie (https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=51215).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  7. cmpalmer

cmpalmer

Jan 27, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    I'm from Huntsville, too...

For local flavor in restaurants, I would go for:

Smoked, pulled pork BBQ from Gibson's or Greenbriar

Fried catfish fillets, turnip greens, pickled onions, fried pickles, cole slaw, and cornbread at Top O' The River

Of course, Huntsville has a lot of good places to eat and I tend to have a fondness for hole in the wall places with great food, but that don't look like much from the outside. I've been thinking of doing a photo-essay of my favorites "dives" around town:

Greenbriar BBQ - 5 mile drive into nowhere in the middle of a bunch of cotton fields is a cinderblock building from the 50's or so with some of the best BBQ and hushpuppies anywhere. As far as it is from anywhere, you'd be amazed at the number of "suits" driving out there for lunch. Tacky wood paneling, vinyl checked tablecloths, and *huge* portions of everything.

Bandito Burrito (two locations) - The original one is an old fast food restaurant, decorated with posters, photos, newspaper clippings, and assorted weird things. The staff tends to be tattooed and pierced and the food is excellent. As I've posted before, Bandito had my all time favorite whiteboard signs: "$1.50 margaritas on Sunday with church bulletin" and "For those of you wondering why we closed our south Parkway restaurant, the building was s**t and the rent was too high. Quit whining. Oscar"

Jamo's Juice and Java - Middle-Eastern/Mediterranean cuisine and coffee shop in a shabby shack with a dirt parking lot beside a tattoo parlor.

Thai Garden - A wonderful Thai restaurant. It's current location is pretty nice, but we started going there when they were tucked into a little shop behind a gas station.

Miyako - Great sushi and Japanese food. Located in the former coffee shop attached to an old motel.

All of these are the kind of places where you take out of town guests to both (a) scare them, and (b) give them a good meal...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2005
  8. Angelo

Angelo

Sep 19, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Save me a seat Miss Leigh, I am on my way! :biggrin:

9. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama

I'll set a place for you!

10. Leigh-One more place setting please. I am leaving Texas now! :smile:

11. Bandito Burrito sounds really yummy - Oh this thread is killing me- I am so hungry. No time to eat. The other places sounds good too!

I would love to hear from people not in the U.S. too! Come on tells us your favortie local specialties.......