1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Food photographers?

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by JMontes, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Are there any dedicated or experienced food photographers here? Would love to pick your brain :smile: Looking for someone who has done some for a restaurant or two, or maybe for a book.

2. Thanks Joe, I saw that too. I wanted to pick someone's brains regarding lenses and lighting.

3. Here's a good link for a food shot that's meant to emulate directional and natural sunlight: http://www.photoflexlightingschool....l_life/Shooting_Food_Shots_At_Home/index.html

If you're looking for a brighter, "product" looking shot, then I would recommend a really large softbox placed over top. You want the light really diffused over a large area so the light 'wraps' around the edges and contours of the food and the plateware.

Sean

4. Joe, very nicely done! What lens did you use? I am not sure if I should be going with my 24-70 or 70-200.....I will experiment with both before I have to do the real thing.

Sean, will check it out, thanks!

5. Hi John.
    Shot with D200 Raw. Nikon 35mmf2 . Tripod 2.8-5.6 , iso 100.

6. pr549f2678

pr549f2678

Jun 26, 2007
    central Fl
    Talk to Uncle Frank for I have seen several of his food shots and they

are great.

Phil...............:smile:

7. Thanks for the plug, Phil, but you've been overly generous in rating my food pics.

I've had a few restaurant/food assignments for a local magazine. They were used for advertising. Here are a few samples and the lens I used for each.

35/2

35/2
    View attachment 224087

60/2.8 micro
    View attachment 224088

60/2.8 micro
    View attachment 224089

28-70/2.8 at 38mm
    View attachment 224090

28-70/2.8 at 45mm
    View attachment 224091

So, to answer one of your questions, leave your 70-200/2.8 at home. Shorter focal lengths are more appropriate for this kind of work. How short depends on the working distance, so if you only want to bring one lens, make it the Beast.

As far as lighting is concerned, all of the above were taken with natural light with the camera tripod mounted. But they predate my participation in the strobist blog. These days I'd use a remote flash or two, and fire them through white umbrellas.

And speaking of the Strobist, I found this article in his archives.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2007/02/on-assignment-macaroni-and-cheese.html

8. Excellent Frank, thanks! The lighting where i'm going to be is not very good, I will probably setup 1 or 2 AB800's with umbrellas and shoot them at the ceiling. I'll have time to setup and do test shots before we get to work.

9. I'm glad to be of help, John.

Btw, in case nobody told you, one of the perks of this genre is you get to eat the food after you shoot it :tongue:.

10. Yeah, I'm shooting for a Korean BBQ. I have been going there weekly for lunch for 6 or 7 months now. The owner told me to bring 2 or 3 people with me to eat all the food....boy am I excited!!! :biggrin: :cool: 

11. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    I'm not sure if he's retired yet but Mr. Rich at Chisholm, Rich and Assoc. is/was one of the premier food photographers I believe. As far as I know he did all the work for Mahatma Foods and other clients. If you could find him I'm sure you could learn huge amounts.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.