Food?

So without really planning it, it looks like I've got a long term project going: shooting food. In fact, I've got a whole gallery devoted to it. Up until now, it's been dominated by vegetables. Well no longer, although I didn't go where you're probably thinking... instead of animal, I went for mineral. Here are a few from a study of salt:

#1:
original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2:
original.jpg

#3:
original.jpg

#4:
original.jpg

#5:
original.jpg

#6:
original.jpg

#7:
original.jpg

These are all of the same giant block of pink salt. It was really a pretty fantastic subject. By changing the lighting (soft, hard, front, back, side, etc.) you got so many different looks, even without moving the camera. As an example, the camera and the subject did not move from 3 to 4 to 5... just the placement of the lights. It was also really challenging. Some of these shots are best viewed via really large prints, but to get everything right, I had to be very careful with the focus. The area of interest (internal detail, surface detail, etc. often fell on a specific plane, and with the macro lens, I had to be very careful to get the camera placement right. I really learned to appreciate the live preview mode.

Anyway, CC are always greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Great series of abstracts! Really like the color shots. Third image would look good printed on canvas.

Samuel

Thanks for the comments. It was pretty fun to shoot actually. I'm thinking of putting some pepper corns on it and doing some "salt and pepper" shots.

Dave

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom