Football games

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by dbirdsong, Sep 10, 2005.

1. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Tonight I went to see my kids high school play the crosstown rivals football game.
    It has been 31 years since I have photographed a football game, it was pretty cool to shoot it.
    That and trying to get ready for the up coming United Hockey League season to start up, (I am the photographer for the Motor City Mechanics) so it was a good to get back to fast action of sports over photographing flowers and birds. :smile:
    Here are a few from tonight

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you want to see the rest of the best shots, Click Here

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    They must feed those Michigan high school kids something special...they look more like college players. Nice captures Dave. I especially like the last one very much. We have some nice sports images on this forum...thanks for sharing.

3. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Thanks Frank, we do have several good sport photographers here.
    I do have to say I wish I had your 300 F2.8 lens tonight. That would have been a joy to shoot with.

4. Very nice photos, Dave. I have the same reaction as Frank. These high school kids are big.

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Which lens did you shoot with, Dave? I thought these were shot with a 300 or a 200 with a TC.

6. Sweet shots they look very nice, look forward to seeing the rest of the season

7. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

They are with my Sigma 200 F2.8 and a Sigma 1.4 TC, as the light got worse, I removed the TC.

Dave

8. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Thanks Phil.
    Most of the kids are pretty normal size, but there are a couple boys that are huge, Number 56 in this picture is taking after his dad. Rick is 6'7 (and a fire fighter too Frank) and Joel at 16 is 6'3 and still growing.

[​IMG]

9. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I am not really sure how many games I will get to, but I am going to try and make some more.

10. papa85

papa85 Guest

Dave!! Good going,
    Your photo show plenty of action you almost feel like you are on the field with the boys, then I wake up and thank God I'm not. Wonderful shots. You have the gift, Dave... :smile:

11. Good series Dave, the kids probably love these. Nice action shots.

12. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Thanks Tony..
    I love getting as close to the action as I can.. What till you see my hockey ( I shoot for a UHL minor pro hockey team) stuff this winter, I am in the box between the 2 benches right on the ice.. Not the safes place in the world to be, but man it gives me some great photos. To bad the arena doesn't have better lighting.

13. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I don't know how many of the kids have seen them, my daughter took a bunch of prints into the coach this week. I guess she uses the trash can in his class every day between classes. He was pretty surprised that she gave him the pictures. But she didn't have time to talk to him and she hasn't told me he has said anything since.
    Dave