1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Football (series)

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Randy, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    I hate f/4 but the 300pf is quite the lens for capturing movement. It was awesome at St Aug shooting BIF and even better at FB. The D5 lets me squeeze out more SS, this shot is f/4, 1/800, ISO 5K.

p3013680316-6.
    NIKON D5    ---    300mm    f/4.0    1/800s    ISO 5000

p3013680315-6.

p3013680302-6.

• Like Like x 2
  2. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Wow!
    ISO 5000 is really impressive Randy.

Great shots btw
    Klaus

3. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    thanks Klaus, full disclosure: they looked ok for 5k and then I ran them thru Dx0 and now they look good. Dx0 is crazy good, it just come with every camera

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Russ_

Russ_

Feb 20, 2011
    New Zealand
    Sounds like night time!

5. Very good and at ISO 5000 impressive.

6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911

Mar 20, 2017
    Central Ohio
    Andrew
    For hating f/4, you can't really tell. :D  These are great, thanks for sharing.

7. Judging by these results your dislike of f4 seems a little irrational :D 

8. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    Thanks Gordon
    Thanks Al
    Thanks, every now and then you get lucky with an open BG

9. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    Some of the stadiums have 40year old lighting technology

10. I tried DXO to see what all the hype was about. You actually have much more control of NR in PS CC just a few more sliders to control and maybe a layer mask or two, but the end results are more pleasing IMO, specially with feather detail (y).

11. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    It’s the controls, layers, and masks I’m trying to avoid
    So which one did you like better ?:) 

12. First two where the runner is looking in your direction.

13. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    I meant did you like PS’ NR better than Dxo’s ?
    And are you using the Dx0 trial or production copy ?

14. PS much nicer, sometimes more work, production copy.

15. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    I’m curious
    What setting values in ps’ NR are you using,

16. It varies all over the place Randy. Depends on the image. I never apply NR globally, but selectively and sometimes with background treatment. For feather detail, I do localized sharpening as needed in ACR and then follow that localized sharpening with localized NR also in ACR. I think I know what you're trying to do with your sports images and that's to have bulk processing routine where you pass batches of images through DXO and it's done. If you're happy with DXO, cool. Your images you posted look good. I'm lucky in the sense that the light I shoot in (field sports) is practically always good even at night under the lights. For sports images, if color noise is present color is always 25 or less, color detail and color smoothness = 50. Luminance is always less than 30, luminance detail = 50, luminance contrast = 0. These values also work in LR if that floats your boat. But by all means if you're happy with the results from DXO, have at it. I know lots of people like DXO prime, me not so much especially for wildlife. YMMV:) .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.