Football (Soccer): Croatia - England, Zagreb, 10 September 2009

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by sir oliver, Sep 14, 2008.

1. For both teams, this was the 2nd game in the series of qualifying games for the FIFA 2010 World Cup.

Both teams won their opening matches against the outsider teams in the qualifying group, but - with Croatia and England considered by many to be the top 2 teams in our group - this was one of those matches which outcome was likely to set out the outcome of the total qualifiers.

Unfortunately for my home team, despite the extremely high level of optimism prior to the game, England chose this very game to regain some of its old glory, and won the game with a convincing 4-1.

Croatia now needs to return to the winning track in the forthcoming games against Ukraine and Andorra in October.

1. Fabio Capello, England's new coach.
    [​IMG]

2. Wayne Rooney and Theo Walcott of England. A hug prior to the game proved to be a lucky one: those 2 guys scored 4 times in the game.

[​IMG]

3. David Beckham: in-your-face shot

[​IMG]

4. Team England

[​IMG]

5. Team Croatia
    [​IMG]

6. England's substitutes
    [​IMG]

7. The game starts. Frank Lampard strikes a free kick.
    [​IMG]

8. The tallest (Heskey) and the shortest (Pranjic) players in the field.
    [​IMG]

9. Robert Kovac and Wayne Rooney
    [​IMG]

10. Yes, England is 1:0 up.
    [​IMG]

11. Wayne Rooney, Niko Kovac and Theo Walcott.
    [​IMG]

12. "Cheer up"
    [​IMG]

13. Josip "Joe" Simunic

[​IMG]

14. Simunic stops Rooney

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Theo Walcott, the 2:0 shot
    [​IMG]

17. Frank Lampard between Luka Modric and Darijo Srna
    [​IMG]

18. Theo Walcott scores for the final 4:1. This guy is 19yo, scored 3 times for the national team. Unfortunately, all 3 times in this game against Croatia.

[​IMG]

18. .................
    [​IMG]

For those of you interested, you can see the photos from the previous game (Croatia - Kazakhstan) here:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=187405

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Excellent shots, Sir Oliver. Which paper do you shoot for? I can't see any other way to get on the pitch. :confused:

3. Thx for the comment, Ales. No paper, I shot this as a freelancer. Sometimes that works too.

4. Wonderful shots. Low angle is best. Wish I could get that kind of access.

5. Thank you, Alex. Maybe try with some smaller scale event, some local sports event or something. The experience and photos gained there might be an entrance ticket to some large scale events sometime in the future.

6. very nice. That Wolcott sounds like one to watch, what club does he normally play for?

7. Arsenal.

Ronnie

8. Oh, I see. I would never have thought that one may apply for accreditation as a freelancer on an international match and actually get in. Cool! I might try that someday. Any hints for a newbie? :smile:

9. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    D80, 70-200 ? ISO 1600

Very nice

Oh, congrats on posting to Nikon Cafe the biggest sporting superstar yet....or at least I think so.

10. Nice work, I would have loved to have been sitting beside you for that match.

After Theo's preformance...... maybe only in LA

11. Yes: try to have a relevant portfolio to show along with your application, be self-confident if you think that you deserve it, and be polite: respect the fact that some people (agency and paper photographers) have priority over your application.

Good luck! :smile:

Thanks for the comments, guys! Yes, it was D80 + 70-200 VR + ISO 1600.

12. Thanks for the tips! Will use them on occasion.

13. That is awesome! Your shots are great Love #6 and #17. I unfortunately didn't catch the game but it looks like the brits are getting themselves back on track for South Africa.

14. Thank you very much, Marcello.

Yes, the Brits are getting back on track.... unfortunately, at Croatia's expense :(

15. Who do you guys play in the next qualifying round?

16. Two remaining games in 2008 are Ukraine - Croatia (11 Oct), then goes Croatia - Andorra (15 Oct), then comes the winter break until April 2009.....