Football Starting (d200 ISO 2500)

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by tjk60, Sep 1, 2008.

1. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2008
  2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Tim, I use Calumet's version of the Bogen SuperClamp, it works well for me. I added the small "L" bracket which I purchased from the local hardware store.

86645570.gif

3. Tim, that shot is with a D200 at ISO 2500?
    Where's all the noise?
    Looks pretty nice on my screen. What's the trick?! :smile:

4. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Nice shot!
    I'm as curious as Joe...where's the noise? :smile:
    Very good, clean photo especially at that ISO.

5. great shot
    did you run NOISE NINJA or something like that?
    very well done

6. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    I did run NN, but subtle. The trick has always been to nail all the settings, exposure and WB. There is noise there, trust me, but it seems acceptable to me! Now, the gentlemen that was there beside me let me pull the trigger a few times with his D700. That's a nice camera! I was at ISO 6400 there, and was getting much better shutter speeds!

Frank, I ordered a few Superclamps and will use your pic as a template. (Thanks!) I'm going to use two SB800s at the bottom of the monopod. I have two weeks to get it dialed in. This weekend's game is in Muskegon and it starts at 4pm. Should be good there!

7. Not bad at all for such high ISO, look forward to seeing how your twin light setup works.

8. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI
    Frank, what is the clamp listed as at Calumet? I've been having difficulty locating it.

9. Muonic

Muonic

Jun 14, 2006
    Don't know about the Calumet version, but here is the Manfrotto version. There are quite a few stud options, so search around to find the one you may want to try.

I have one of these clamps, and they are rock solid, but they are heavy. About a full 1 pound. I think I'm going to try to fabricate something a little lighter, to use for the same purpose.

Good luck.

10. I use an umbrella adapter "strapped" to my mono pod. I keep an extra flash in my bag with the stud already attached. Takes me about 30 seconds to swap them out. Not as elegant as the bogen but it's functional and works fine.

11. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    Frank, in this setup you have the flash connected directly to the camera, what's the gizmo to the left on the picture ?

12. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT

assuming that is a battery pack

13. Muonic

Muonic

Jun 14, 2006
    Well I'm not Frank, but the flash is connected to the camera via a SC-17/28/29 cord. The "gizmo" is a Nikon SD-8A battery pack.

14. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    I hope quantum comes out with a cord to use their battery pack here soon. it would be nice since I spent a ton of money on it lol (referring to the SB-900)

15. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    ahh, thanks "Frank" - makes sense

16. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Yep, the gizmo is the Nikon SD-8a battery pack which holds six AA batteries. And the clamp I use is a Calumet MF 6820.