Football?? What about Hockey!!

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by GeoffBolte, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Well shot a little bit this weekend at the CMO Select Labor Day Tournament. Yeah its a week early but when you need a 5 sheet facility it is tough to get it on a major holiday weekend, unless you own the facility. Anyways here are some shots, also put in a few sportraits as I don't normally show those as I love showing my hockey action!

Nikon D300, 300mm f2.8 @ ISO 200-250 f4.5-5.6 depending on the rink, 1/250th.

Enjoy!

GCB_3773.

GCB_3911.

GCB_26131.

GCB_2842.

GCB_4138.

GCB_4770.

2. Really good lighting in the arena?

3. Adrian, strobed, otherwise I would be shooting ISO 1600+ even in decent rinks.

4. great shots. hockey is definitely one of the more difficult sports to capture.

5. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

LOL ... Geoff lookin good man, nice even spread of light, good exposures and great focus ..... who could ask for anything more !

6. Nice shooting, is the ice providing fill? If hockey is here then summer must certainly be over.

7. bucky919

bucky919

Feb 9, 2008
    Minot, ND
    Looks Good!!!!

We have ice on all summer here so it never really ends :biggrin:

8. Kurt

Kurt

May 30, 2006
    North Boston, NY
    You could shoot at ISO 2000 with a D700 or D3, then no strobes to drag around.

Some nice action in these, good timing with the glove save.

9. Yeah but they still might not be as crisp. As for the strobes they are permanently in the facility. I wouldn't want to be setting up 28 strobes every weekend. Then again I probably wouldn't be I just shoot for them.

As do wee it never really ends.

Nah Summers not over if your going by hockey over here its year round. So summer never actually started then. Strobes bounced off of a silver lined ceiling, with the ice acting as another reflector, works great!

Thanks Topher!

Thanks, appreciate it.

10. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    First class shooting Geoff, the lighting is perfect and you caught some outstanding action. I really appreciate your tight crops and the over image quality.

11. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    Love them Geoff! nice touch as always!

12. mom24gr8kids

mom24gr8kids Guest

Love them! thanks for sharing

13. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    what Frank said - tp stuff - bet those sportraits sell as well or better than action?

14. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    Very nice Geoff.

15. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Great Hockey series Geoff
    I need to give it a try
    A good fiend of mine coaches for the Hurricanes youth league- Hiws season is getting started soon
    Thanks for the inspiration

16. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Great shots, Geoff. Love the crops/sportraits!

I can't wait for NHL season to start! 3 more weeks... It might be 90 degrees out walking to the game, but it will still be chilly when we get inside the arena. 90% of the attendees early and late in the season are wearing shorts down here in sunny Florida.

17. Hey nice shots GB!!
    Now stop posting hockey until the snow flies up north ok? I want to enjoy what's left of our warm weather no matter how great your shots are! :biggrin:

18. Nice stuff geoff I really liek the nice tight sportraits great job on the whole set

19. Thanks all for the kind comments, I'm glad I got some from the other pros on the board as well.

I totally believe it. We get some of the youth FLA teams up here. I'll be down in Tampa After Thanksgiving, would love to check out a Lightning game and shoot a little, but it is a pleasure trip, we'll see.

Well, we'll see although I don't believe I'll be doing too much hockey till the HS season starts up. As I have a lot of T&I on weekends, and various HS sports, just next week here's the lineup, Tue field hockey, Wed - Golf, Thur - HS Team Day, Fri afternoon - Soccer, Fri evening - football. Its gonna be a great season :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.