for a friend

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by cwilt, Oct 5, 2008.

1. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Its been a long time since I posted in this area.

A friend asked me to take some outdoor family portrait shots. Recently divorced so it is just the mother and daughter.

2 speedlights were taped together and bounced from a white umbrella.
    D2x with the 50/1.4.
    Not the only one that used lights but it was the easiest to grab and post here.
    382682104_BgzFw-O.jpg

A crop from above.
    384194514_nB6Ng-O.jpg

I also tried a few other ideas.
    Fuji S5
    382641958_7aRJ6-O.jpg

My favorite from the session. This one is my interpretation of their current situation. Stormy weather with the child looking to the mother.
    382590568_A9can-O.jpg

I know they will probably go with the more normal shots but I always try to put something extra in to each session. They will probably come over and we will do some black and whites in the studio too.

2. I like them all, Charles. The "classic" portraits are beautiful and the idea of the storm appeals too.

3. Charles - well done. All are wonderful, first is fantastic. Great lighting.
    A nit, on the b-w you may want to clone out that bright spot beside the child.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2008
  4. Bunic

Bunic

Jun 27, 2006
    South Central PA
    Charles,

I flat LOVE the lighting in #1- it's till nice and soft for the lovely ladies. And the comp is great with the tree and flowers framing. And the tight crop is also very complementary.

Mike

5. I love all of these! Really nice captures.

6. avyoung

avyoung

Dec 17, 2007
    Canada
    Hi Charles,

I really like the first photo.
    I would have probably lowered the ambient light to reduce highlight blowout though. I have been using warming gels on my flash, but I miss the fresh bright whites that your photo has. They look great.

7. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Thank you. It is very stormy in their lives at the moment so I thought it fitting.

Thanks. You are right about the b&w.

Most of the time I prefer the very simple lighting. Even this simple setup drew a few peoples attention in the park.

Thanks.:wink:

The image would have been very under exposed to achieve that with just exposure. Maybe a polarizer. At that angle it would have been a big maybe. The best solution here would be to photoshop it. Knowing them I would say they would prefer to keep the water reflections.

8. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    charles the final shot is amazing I just love it!!

Dan

9. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Well done Charles. The "normal" shots are excellent, but the last one is superb!

10. kbhdiaz888

kbhdiaz888 Guest

nice pics! awesome shots!

11. Duschoolboy

Duschoolboy

Dec 17, 2006
    I agree with you charles in that the last shot totally fits the situation facing them. Nothing they cant face together though. BTW, the first shot is nice. Thanks for sharing!

12. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Thanks Dan.

I think its funny how most of us start out trying to nail those "normal" shots. Then once we do we start looking for the abnormal. Nothing as creative as your work, but I won't complain with the outcome from a 1 hour session in a park that I did not know.:wink: Thank you.

Thanks

If I had not known what was going on in their lives I would have never looked for a shot with that kind of mood. Thank you.

13. That last shot is great.

14. BarkisPhoto

BarkisPhoto

Jul 20, 2007
    New England
    Hi, Charles -- nice work: all of them. The last one is particularly good...

Best Regards,

15. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Nice job, Charles. Pretty ladies! I see you like the 50 for ports too :wink:

16. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Thanks Mitch and John.

Francis,
    The 50 is my favorite, but from a distance. :wink:

17. Excellent Charles and good ambient/flash balance on the first one.

18. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Thanks Gordon.