For all you gnocchi lovers, it's not gnocchi

What can this stuff be?

5479959926_bc8e247902_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

No more guesses? A hint. It is a grain and is considered the "grain of the gods" for its magical properties in beer making. Also is extremely high in fiber.

You got it! I spilled some and decided I will take a snapshot before cleaning it up. I never realized each extremely small grain of barley had so much detail and shape till I snapped this. There is some good eating there. I did pick up several more bags at the grocery store for restocking the pantry. Now I'm lusting after a big bowl of beef barley soup.

Cool pic. It almost looks like little bread rolls.

BTW, the barley used for brewing is a bit different - still has the husk on it. Don't have any in the basement, I've turned it all into beer - I'm a homebrewer. I like the idea for a pic though, next time I have some I'll set up the macro rig.

Thanks. I want to get into homebrewing. Too many hobbies and not enough time. I made a promise to myself to set up a small homebrew one day in the near future. I've been talking to a few friends that do it for a hobby. The beer I sampled from them was really good and enjoyable.

I love that you took pictures before you cleaned up. Some guys will do anything not to clean! Actually, I probably would have done the same thing! Btw, I have an elderly aunt who home-brews beach plum brandy. It is truly remarkable!

I love that you took pictures before you cleaned up. Some guys will do anything not to clean! Actually, I probably would have done the same thing! Btw, I have an elderly aunt who home-brews beach plum brandy. It is truly remarkable!

The wife always says I am a great cook but need to learn how to clean up behind myself. I will show her this thread so she realizes someone appreciates me... :biggrin:

The plum brandy does sound interesting. I think I really have to get into home-brewing.

Cool, thanks for the idea...I just bought the ingredients to make milk stout, so maybe I'll do some photos prior to the boiling!

Thanks. I want to get into homebrewing. Too many hobbies and not enough time. I made a promise to myself to set up a small homebrew one day in the near future. I've been talking to a few friends that do it for a hobby. The beer I sampled from them was really good and enjoyable.

Definitely start by brewing with friends that already do it. Once you get shown the ropes it's a lot easier to start. Plus you'll know what equipment you'll need, and have a better understanding of the time commitments required. Good shop your way, been there once. Somewhere towards Severna maybe?

Homebrewing does require some time, but also a fair bit of patience - you gotta let the beer ferment & age for a bit before you can drink it.

Yep, that's it. It's a pretty small shop, but they had lots of stuff jammed in there. I'd offer to show you how to brew myself, but it'll be a while before I brew again - still have plenty of homebrew on tap at home.

Thanks. I will have to take you up on that. I was looking at some of the recipe kits they have listed and they do seem to have a vast selection for varying tastes. The good part is 5 gallons! I can see that lasting me a while.

Thanks. I will have to take you up on that. I was looking at some of the recipe kits they have listed and they do seem to have a vast selection for varying tastes. The good part is 5 gallons! I can see that lasting me a while.

5 gallons = 2 cases of beer. It can go pretty quickly, depending on how many people are drinking.

I would definitely recommend starting with a kit and not worrying about the recipe, that can come down the road. Something like a pale ale or a nut brown generally tends to be pretty easy to brew, plus it's pretty crowd pleasing.

Latest threads

Top Bottom