For anyone who hates their cable provider as much as I hate mine

My confusion was that you used the term 'broadcast', twice. That term classically applies to antenna based TV or radio transmissions.
My understanding is that such a narrow definition no longer applies. None of the first three definitions I looked up including the Miriam-Webster dictionary limits use of the term, broadcast, to antenna-based transmissions.

To be very precise so everyone understands the situation: All but about five or six of the games in the Washington Nationals regular season, which is typically 162 games, are provided in video in my area only over the Mid Atlantic Sports Network (MASN). That network is carried in my area only by Cox Communications, a cable provider. There is no other way to legally view those games in my area.

Real Name
Ken St John
There’s a similar situation in Seattle. Root Sports on cable/satellite or nothing. I got MLB Season Pass free through T-Mobile, and if you read the fine print you’ll see something like “see all out of market games”. In my case, that means everyone other than the Mariners.

I was having a similar issue finding an alternative for Pac-12 Network for football since DTV can’t seem to strike a deal. I finally found I could get it on a sports add on through Sling or Fubo. You might check if one of those streaming services carry MASN.

Ken

I had been getting by with an internet and VOIP phone package from Xfinity ($88 a month), Netflix ($13 a month) and an indoor antenna for local stations. (Also Amazon Prime. I don’t count any of that cost against my tv expenses since I would pay for it even if there was no video content).

My wife is a news junkie so the lack of cable news and the fact that the indoor antenna was only reliable with one local station and could not get the local PBS station at all drove me to add television service via Xfinity. A relatively basic package was supposed to boost my monthly bill from $88 to $139. It turned out to be $196. In addition to the usual taxes and fees, they added a local news station fee of $24 and a regional sports fee of $19. I was so… let’s keep this family-friendly… unhappy that I took the cable box back and cancelled the tv service. For the privilege discontinuing the television service I had to pay over two hundred bucks in an early termination fee. That’s still cheaper than the almost $2500 the tv service would have cost over a two year period.

I dropped my internet service to the lowest level (75 MB/s) and my monthly bill is now $69. And, thanks to a tip from a friend, we now have You Tube TV: $49 a month with all our local channels, all the cable news channels, all the common sports channels, movies, etc. An added benefit is that I can use it on both our TVs without paying ten bucks per outlet for set top box rental.

From personal experience, I consider DirecTV to be a criminal enterprise. I have added Xfinity to that list.

MASN is also available [in my area] on Fios (Verizon) and to "all Dish Network customers" and "all DirectTV customers."
I asked my wife about that and she explained what I had forgotten. Long ago we learned we could view the regular season baseball games using any of those competitors and decided against trying it for the following reasons that still make sense to me:
  • We don't know that those three providers won't be any worse to deal with than Cox Communications (all of them have their share of unhappy customers);
  • When we last checked, switching to the other services wouldn't have resulted in an appreciable cost savings; and
  • In light of the first two factors, we didn't want to risk wasting our time of disengaging Cox and engaging its replacement.

And, thanks to a tip from a friend, we now have You Tube TV: $49 a month with all our local channels, all the cable news channels, all the common sports channels, movies, etc. An added benefit is that I can use it on both our TVs without paying ten bucks per outlet for set top box rental.
How do you get the YouTube signal to your TV? Do you get ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, and the SEC Network?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
A small but important point above, regarding all the posts using MB for internet speed. It is not MB, you are getting Mb, megabits, or to be accurate these speeds are Mb/s. So if you think you are getting MB, you are really getting 8 times less.

The rule is that in communications technology, it is always in bits (small b). In computing, sizes are always in bytes (big B).

A small but important point above, regarding all the posts using MB for internet speed. It is not MB, you are getting Mb, megabits, or to be accurate these speeds are Mb/s. So if you think you are getting MB, you are really getting 8 times less.

The rule is that in communications technology, it is always in bits (small b). In computing, sizes are always in bytes (big B).
Yes. Thanks for correcting my sloppy usage.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom