For anyone who hates their cable provider as much as I hate mine

Real Name
Ian
As the OP, I would appreciate it if everyone would please end the discussion of the legality and morality of using a VPN to view a sports game that is locally blacked out. Thank you, all, for your understanding.
This thread was created by you to voice your frustration with your current cable provider, and has evolved in to a discussion with many members about alternative options for those who wish to make their frustrations known with their cable provider by reducing the amount of money we give them each month. While there is little change for those viewing many of the standard cable TV channels, local sports is one area that does not provide as seamless a transition. IMO, it's a topical discussion pertaining to cutting the cord, which is becoming more popular for many Americans as cable companies continue to increase their prices to consumers while offering no level of improved service. I think there's value in discussing what options are available for people who still want to watch their desired content, but have become so fed up with their cable provider that they've eliminated the TV package from their monthly service agreement.

You're uncomfortable with paying for a VPN and MLB Extra Innings to watch your Nationals, and so you've decided to stick with paying Cox Communications for their TV package, despite their substandard level of service. That's fine, nobody is telling you otherwise.

However, there are many of us out there who have become fed up with cable providers to the point where we've taken action by removing the TV package from our monthly service agreement, and have instead turned to paying for a streaming TV service. I'm fine with not continuing the discussion regarding legality of it, because as a YouTube TV subscriber, I have no native option to watch the Penguins. The only option I have is to pay a monthly fee for my VPN service, and then to pay a monthly fee for NHL Center Ice, which allows me watch the Penguins. Yes, there are hoops that need to be jumped through, and while I would prefer there to be a native solution to this issue, there isn't, and so this is the current work-around. For other forum members, they may be in a similar situation, and thus I feel there is value in discussing the solutions and workarounds to the current problems that exist with streaming platforms as they are today.

Yes. The national broadcast networks have "national" content that can be paid for and streamed everywhere. Local PBS affiliates pick and choose what to broadcast. That's the way I understand it anyway. As noted above, some affiliates have cut deals with YouTube TV (and maybe other "streamers").
The 3 PBS stations we are served by provide a slightly overlapping mix of national, regional and local production. Idaho PTV has a lot of local (statewide) content and I'd never give that up.

Well looks like I get to take a trip to the Spectrum office here. Cable box is screwed up. Sound in some HD channels decideds to cut out at times. Comes back on when I power down the box or change channels and go back to the channel I was watching. They tried to say its the cable in the house (nope other TV's work fine and don't do this), then tried to say its my HDMI (nope tried a new high quality one and still does it), then said its my TV (nope year old LG smart tv and switched a box out of the other room for this one to test and never did it. But my box in the other room started cutting out on sound like it did for me), then tried to tell me that I have to reset it to clear it (nope, tried that 5 times and doesn't help), then the one to top everything, I did mention that it doesn't do this on the SD channels so they suggested I stay on those channels (nope I PAY for HD box, not a SD box and why the heck would I watch a program with the picture shrunk with a black border on the screen instead of in full screen?). Box if fubared, I'm bringing it in for a replacement whether you like it or not.

That's an excellent point. On the other hand, if they install it and it doesn't work, they can't legitimately point their fingers at you.
When we moved in to that place, the cable in there was old. I ran all new RG6 cable through out the house. Not the cheap Walmart stuff, actual high end stuff with a quality splitter. Place I'm at now the previous people had a dish. Did the same here. All new high quality cabling (rg6 again) and connectors. I think it irks them when I know the same as them about their job.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom