1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

For Ben, the railroad expert

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jarrell, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Wow Ben, I'm impressed! 5 years old and knows about engine houses and turntables. Ok, here's a turntable shot of a steam switch engine backing a rail car into the shop for repairs.
    and a diesel engine being pulled into that engine house you know about from the turntable.
    Man, you and I could have some fun together... :biggrin:
    Jarrell

2. Wonderful! Not only as railroad models and all the minutia that goes into this, but also as pictures in their own right! You sure know how to combine your two hobbies.

3. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks, Jarrell! You have absolutely made Ben's night! He lives and breathes everything to do with trains. We are even having his 5th birthday party at the local train museum that has a "party caboose"!

Ben is in absolute heaven right now, checking out all the details on these models. Looks like we're going to have to start him on models soon (any suggestions as to what we should start him on?)

4. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Wow, I'm not up to Ben's level of knowledge and expertise on these things, but I sure can appreciate the attention to detail.:cool: 

5. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    That's great, I'm glad he liked them. Leigh, it would have to be something a bit on the rugged side to stand up to a 5 year old. The delicate detail work on the engines etc. that I have wouldn't last long with him.. :biggrin: But, companies like Bachmann and LifeLike make train sets including engine and several cars plus transformer and some track for less than $100 which would do fine. The problem is keeping his interest, they soon get tired of what model railroaders call the 'roundy round', trains just going round in a circle. Setting up shoe boxes (and smaller boxes) for buildings with drawn on doors and windows, homemade 'loads' for his rail cars to carry etc. will help.
    Model railroading is as much about building the structures and hills and rivers and trees as it is about running trains.
    Leigh, space is a huge consideration. Even a layout on a 4x8 sheet of plywood, which is what most kids and their parents start out with, takes up an 8x10 foot room because you need the aisle space to get around it.
    But, if he'll stick with it... like so many have, it's a lifelong hobby that teaches the basics of electrical work, carpentry, soldering... opps, shouldn't have said that... can't see a 5 year old with a soldering iron. Anyway, I'd start with a basic set and some track and see how it goes from there.
    Who knows, you may start a room sized layout one day and they can take about 10 to 15 years to complete!
    Jarrell
    P.s. I just thought about what I see at every model railroad show I've ever been to and the kids love it. Leggo trains! They actually run on track and do all sorts of things. You might check that out also.

6. Jarrell, from the pictures you show here, you have the most incredible train set-up I have ever seen! (not that I have seen many! :smile:)  Wow! Show more! Please? :smile:

7. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    I hope his parents bring him by the next time they're down this way. I'll give him a throttle and we'll run some freight trains!
    Jarrell

8. Another great set of images. love your work both trains and photography.

9. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks, Jarrell. This is very good info. I'll check out the Lego trains.

I'm also thinking of suspending a track around the ceiling of Ben's room. His favorite restaurant is called Rolo's and they have a track that suspends from the ceiling and the train runs periodically while you dine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.