For Bjorn; question about 28/f2 vs 35/f1.4

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Rich Gibson, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Bjorn,
    Happily, I think the LLD has subsided. Thanks to some helpful responses from our cafe patrons and your lens section on your site I think I'll skip the 28mm f/1.4.

I do have a few questions about comparing these two lenses. In your site you rated the 35mm f/1.4 (which I already have) as the "best" wide angle. In a post at DPR you described the 28mm f/2 in very favorable terms. Would you differentiate the pros and cons of either lens with their strengths and weaknesses and which type shooting you would prefer each for.

Thanks,

Rich

2. Not sure what Bjorn will tell you (he may have some surprising answer up his sleeve), but I think in this case it is just a matter of what focal length you prefer. Both lenses are incredible performers.
    Cheers

3. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Each lens has its own personality. The important thing is to get on friendly and close terms with it. Then the questions of pros and cons become a moot point.

The 28/2 is currently my preferred lens for indoor low-light work. Outdoors I more often make do with the 35 (or others).

The given lens isn't that important, though, if you haven't a clue about what and how you should shoot with your gear. So focusing on the lens isn't the best approach. Any lens can do a decent job if the photographer is up to the task.

4. nfoto

nfoto Guest

To make things perfectly clear, my generalised statement was just that, *generalised*. Absolutely not directed at any individual neither at the Café nor elsewhere. Just my life experience coming to the surface as it were.

Sorry Rich if you felt it personal, assuredly it wasn't. We Norwegians are of an outspoken culture.