For glass lovers

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Uncle Frank, Sep 5, 2008.

1. I've always thought it mundane, but you can do things with glass other than making lenses. Window panes, coffee tables, and wine bottles come to mind. But I gained new appreciation for the art of glass making on my visit to Tacoma, WA last weekend. I visited the Glass Museum, and watched them create non-lens stuff.

102682531.gif

I learned that craftsman like Dale Chihuly can shape blazing hot silicon dioxide into fanciful pieces like these.

View attachment 247725

I also learned that good glass has an affinity for good glass. My Nikkor lenses had a great time playing with the art glass :biggrin:.

View attachment 247726

2. frank....
    what awesome pieces
    great shots, too... of course

i'd LOVE to see a place like that in person one day

thanks for sharing these with us

3. I live an hour north of there... and have driven by more times than I can count... but still haven't made the visit. We've talked about it and I know my wife would really enjoy it. Thanks for the inspiration. I'm going to take her there soon ~ really.

4. EssieK

EssieK Guest

take her there, shoot some pics, then say in an off-hand way: btw, I think that for this kind of imagery I need the <insert name of lens here>. But oh well, we'll manage.... <sigh>

Great pics here!

5. Beautiful images Frank!!

6. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    The pieces in img2 are amazing, the glass makers are so talented
    Thanks for sharing these Frank

7. Wonderful pictures. But I'd love to learn what wonderful Nikon glas you used in capturing these beautiful glas objects :biggrin:.

8. Great photos UF and some terrific craftsmanship there too. Thanks for posting.

9. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

lovely Frank ...cool shots ....;-)

10. For the 3 pics in the opening post, I used the 85/1.4, 12-24DX, and 35/2, respectively.

11. GKR1

GKR1

Apr 19, 2007
    San Diego
    Too bad you can not smoke out of those glasses. LOL....

Nice shots!

12. Frank,
    Next time you're in New york state, check out the Corning Glass Museum, in Corning. The wife and I visited there a few years back. Unbelievable glass art objects in abundance.

13. Beautiful artwork! Once my girls are less destructive I'd like to have something nice like that in my house......that may be a while, or never.

14. Chihuly's smallest pieces sell for more than the price of a d3 :eek:

Large glass panels like these were used as ceiling tiles for a covered walkway leading into the museum. I can't begin to imagine how much they're worth.

102682521.gif

View attachment 247728

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2008
  15. Being a New Yorker, I can remember as a small boy my parents took me to the Corning factory upstate and even then I was blown away (no pun intended) watching as these works of art were made (blown) by hand by such incredible craftsmen.

16. The most impressive glass blowing I've seen was at the Waterford factory in southern Ireland. Their master glass blowers use the same tools and techniques as their predecessors did hundreds of years ago, and they drink beer and smoke cigarettes while they work. I watched them for hours and was still fascinated when Nancy dragged me away to take the rest of the tour.

17. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    Wow those are great shots. The colors and white balance seem spot on and I LOVE that last image. Very cool.

18. Loki_D_Wolf

Loki_D_Wolf Guest

Glass Eye

Wow, having a craft like that is a rare thing I'm sure. Nice to see younger people around to maybe learn.

Fantastic shots too. I love the illustration on the shelving unit.

19. Can only agree on how clever those guys are. The scary thing is that they seem to be more productive after their lunchbreak down at the pub :wink: