For Greyflash and Uncle Frank

Discussion in 'People' started by Terri French, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Greyflash answered a bunch of my questions in his recent post titled "Jennifer". Uncle Frank posted an example of the same technique that Greyflash used. I tried it and am happy with the results (although I love to hear critique from those with a better eye than me).

I metered for the background at -1 exposure using center weighted average. Then I set my flash at -2/3.

My daughter got some flowers from her fiance and wanted a photo holding them to use in a wedding slide show. Here is the result. She was standing in the shade with the sun shining in the background.

How did I do? Did I turn the exposure down to much in raw conversion?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2005
  2. Absolutely beautiful and a good example of what I was talking about. The background is darkened some and your beautiful daughter is great. Do you notice how she stands out from the background? Did you use a diffuser?

3. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Yes, I used the diffuser that comes with the sb800. Thank you so much for your help. Outdoor flash photography is so tricky.

4. Nice shot Terry. :smile:
    Thanks for sharing either the shot and the technique too.
    Benoit

5. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Greyflash is the one to thank. He posted a picture using this technique and I gave it a try today. Thanks for looking and commenting.

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Wow - no, the exposure is perfect! Nicely composed too. Great portrait. Excellent use of the technique.

7. Very nicely done, Terri! Next time, you might want to matrix meter the background instead of using the center weighted approach, to keep the metering from being unduly influenced by a bright or dark areas in the background. But it worked like a charm this time.

I did something similar at a shoot this afternoon. I was taking test pictures of a potential wedding client, and did a group photo of her, her mom, and grandma. Maybe it will land me the job.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2005
  8. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Thanks for your observations about my exposure. I am still trying to learn what is "just right".

9. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Thanks Frank. That was one questions I asked Gordon and he said that he uses spot or center weighted. It's so interesting how many different ways there are to accomplish something in photography. I appreciate you telling me how you do it. I'll give everything a try!!!

Your picture is great. Bet you get the job. Do you like doing wedding photography?

10. Cute image Frank, I would hire you if I were them.