For Greyflash - St. George Temple/Zion's Weeping Rock

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Chad Gladstone, May 15, 2005.

1. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Well I'm not Gordon but I love the second one

The first is a little to clean for me but that's just my opinion

2. I have gotten that a little too "clean" comment more than once. What is amazing it that there is absolutely no noise reduction at all preformed - just less aggressive sharpening and here is the real kicker - the lens was the 24-120 VR infamous for being less than the sharpest nikkor. I'm always amazed how smooth, but sharp, this image looks - I processed it more than once to make sure noise reduction was off (I haven't even bothered to clone out the sensor dust.)

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Maybe you should add some noise Chad. ... :) Just kidding - I rarely like that effect.I like 'em both. The droplets in the waterfall are great!

4. I was under the waterfall getting quite wet trying to handhold 1/25 second - I was quite shocked that the cascading water was not captured with more lateral movement than it was.

5. jkamphof

jkamphof Guest

#1 has almost an artificial look to it (not a negative though) and like others said, very clean. I really like it, really precise!

Joel.

6. Hi Chad, I think the image of the temple is stunning. I assume you took this late evening but would be interested in any other technical details, including WB. Did you use a perspective crop? Just excellent.

7. Hey Greyflash. I preset the WB off the structure with my 70-200 + TC zoomed all the way in and went across the street with my 24-120 VR. Tripod mounted (left VR on) I used the perspective crop (not sure it is quite straight). I must say you have a very good eye to catch that. I submitted the image for free use to the LDS church after I cloned out the dust spots - I'm hoping that it can be used by them in some capacity. Forgot to change the af mode but it turned out ok, anyway. Here is the exif -
    Nikon D70
    Focal Length: 35mm
    Optimize Image: Custom
    Color Mode: Mode Ia (sRGB)
    Noise Reduction: OFF
    2005/03/12 07:18:46
    Exposure Mode: Manual
    White Balance: Preset
    Tone Comp: Less Contrast
    RAW (12-bit) Lossless
    Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
    AF Mode: AF-C
    Hue Adjustment: 0°
    Image Size: Large (2000 x 3008)
    2 sec - F/11
    Flash Sync Mode: Not Attached
    Saturation: Normal
    Exposure Comp.: -0.3 EV
    Sharpening: None
    Lens: VR 24-120mm F/3.5-5.6 G
    Sensitivity: ISO 200

8. Thanks Chad, I will have to see if I can come up with a shot similar to this one. I appreciate your exif data.

9. I like these shots. Beautiful building shot!! :D :D :D :D