For long lens users and panorama fans

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by MParker, May 24, 2007.

1. An interesting new product from Giottos. It's a graduated L-Bracket that breaks down into two long plates, similar to those by Wimberley, Kirk, and RRS.

My intention is to use it mostly for mounting a camera vertically with my 20/2.8 for panoramas. It's going to be handier for me than a homebuilt system I was planning to make with my macro rails. Cost was $59 making each half less than $30 if you wanted to use them for lens plates. Compare that to the Wimberley P-50, Kirk LP-9, and RRS B98 etc.

http://www.giottos.com/Products/MH-3/MH680_L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2007
  2. zandym

zandym

Apr 14, 2006
    Maryland
    Thanks for the tip Mike!

I'm always looking for alternatives to those expensive arca-style stuff. :biggrin:

3. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi mike-

nice find, where did you buy the plates from?

ricky

4. I liketo support my local dealer so I buy nearly all my stuff from a local camera shop, Ace Photo in Ashburn, VA. I'm sure these are available online though. You can call Ace at 703-430-3333. They do deliver. :smile:

5. DABO

DABO

Jan 13, 2006
    Hi, Mike.

I don't understand the use of this L-plate for panoramas. Could be because I haven't finished my coffee yet. It seems to me that this only centers the nodal point in one dimension, not two.

For instance, I have an older version of this: http://www.nodalninja.com/. It allows you to center the lens in two dimensions.

DAB

6. Well ... caffeine is important. :434:
    My original intention was to build a homemade panorama system using parts I already had, including a couple of macro rails. This bracket saves me some effort as it allows me to attach the camera and my rails with a lot less jury rigging than I would have had to originally.

This L-bracket isn't a complete system and I didn't mean to mislead anyone into thinking it is. Actually my main point is (was) meant to be the price. If you take it apart with the allen wrench that comes with it, it makes two great plates for long lenses.

7. DABO

DABO

Jan 13, 2006
    Cool. That makes sense. I'd be interested to know how it works out. My Nodal Ninja is VERY well built, but my D200 tests the outer limits of it's capabilities. The camera JUST fits and the the rails bend slightly when the camera is mounted. I've had good results with it, but it's not ROCK solid.

DAB

8. I'm testing this setup today. Here is what I did, pictures to follow if it's successful.

I start with a Kirk BH-1.
    To the head (using a Wimberley P-5) I attach a Manfrotto 3419 macro rail.
    On top of the macro rail I put a Wimberley C-10 clamp mounted transversely.
    Then I mount the Camera (horizontal or vertical) and the Giottos L-bracket on the Wimberley clamp.
    Now I can adjust the whole rig using the gross and fine adjusters on the macro plate to the predetermined nodal point.