1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

For Maitani

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by W.Ray, Aug 4, 2009.

1. The designer of the Pens and Olympus OM's passed a few days ago. So, a couple of shots to say thanks for the memories.

Olympus OM-1, 1978
    3787298543_4ef8b32a50_o.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Olympus OM-2, 2008
    3787298723_b48882a87c_o.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hey, nice!

3. Nice indeed, Ray! I have some OM Zuiko lenses and need to find a good OM body to use them on. He was one of the great ones...

4. Ryan Bradford

Ryan Bradford

Jul 14, 2009
    Rochester
    nice shots

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Depends on if you want all manual and mirror lockup (OM-1n MD) or auto exposure as well as manual (OM-2n) or a collectors item (OM-3 or 4, especially Ti) or if you want - it's the Nikon Cafe, so I can't say it, but it rhymes with rap - OM-10 or 20.

I have the OM-1n, which I feel is the camera that has most of Yoshihisa Maitani's soul in it. I have long admired the OM-2n, as it makes shooting without doing calculations possible. And it's every bit as compact as the mechanical OM-1. But I've never shot with one. Probably because I have always found Nikon's AE to be spot on. But for camera mechanics, the first four numbers of the OM line are exceptional! Possibly the best SLRs ever.

If Olympus still had designers with Maitani's skills, they would be leading the DSLR wars as well. Can you imagine what a Maitani designed Olympus DM-3 camera would be like?!?

6. He was an engineering genius of the first order and will be sorely missed.

There's one OM that is really battery thirsty, you know which one this is?
    The 1n or 2n I think are the ones I'm after, all my other cameras except
    the Contax have shot or no meters at all so a purely meterless/mechanical
    OM would be fine.

7. Just avoid the OM-2 SP's. I owned two of them and disliked them so much that I gave them away. They simply did not have the buttery smooth operation of the OM-1 or OM-2. Bill, if you've never used an OM-1 or 2 you are in for a real treat. They are solid and I have never owned another camera, aside from a Leica years ago, that operated with such silky smoothness. And, the build quality ain't too shabby either! Indeed, Maitani was a design genius!

8. Thanks, Ray, it's next on my dance card. I have three Zuikos that are just languishing on
    the shelf, silly to not being able to use them, great optics.

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    There are no meterless OM cameras. However there are som bargains on cameras at KEH labeled "meter inop". I suspect that means that either the meter is broken, or that it requires an obsolete battery and does not give the right reading with modern alkaline batteries.

Have you browsed the ultimate OM website yet?

10. RedTownCats

RedTownCats

Jun 23, 2007
    UK
    Sad news indeed, but nice that he was around to see such renewed interest in the Pen.

The OMs certainly are wonderful cameras - I wish my Nikons had that huge viewfinder. The only 'fault' is that crazy hot shoe :smile:

...must be time to re-foam my OMs.

Thanks for some great cameras!

11. Thanks, Chris, bookmarked. Looks like the same outfit that has all that great
    info about old Nikon lenses, etc.

A broken meter is no problem, even the Viv XC-3 I used lately has a very
    schizophrenic meter that can't be trusted so I use Sunny 16 or a handheld,
    if I remember to pack one.

12. sad news... I really like the second shot, i think its the sky. did you use the red filter for that one?

13. Both great shots. Something about the first that I like more. Never had an Olympus.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.