For Maitani

The designer of the Pens and Olympus OM's passed a few days ago. So, a couple of shots to say thanks for the memories.

Olympus OM-1, 1978
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Olympus OM-2, 2008
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Chris
... need to find a good OM body ...
Depends on if you want all manual and mirror lockup (OM-1n MD) or auto exposure as well as manual (OM-2n) or a collectors item (OM-3 or 4, especially Ti) or if you want - it's the Nikon Cafe, so I can't say it, but it rhymes with rap - OM-10 or 20.

I have the OM-1n, which I feel is the camera that has most of Yoshihisa Maitani's soul in it. I have long admired the OM-2n, as it makes shooting without doing calculations possible. And it's every bit as compact as the mechanical OM-1. But I've never shot with one. Probably because I have always found Nikon's AE to be spot on. But for camera mechanics, the first four numbers of the OM line are exceptional! Possibly the best SLRs ever.

If Olympus still had designers with Maitani's skills, they would be leading the DSLR wars as well. Can you imagine what a Maitani designed Olympus DM-3 camera would be like?!?

He was an engineering genius of the first order and will be sorely missed.

There's one OM that is really battery thirsty, you know which one this is?
The 1n or 2n I think are the ones I'm after, all my other cameras except
the Contax have shot or no meters at all so a purely meterless/mechanical
OM would be fine.

Just avoid the OM-2 SP's. I owned two of them and disliked them so much that I gave them away. They simply did not have the buttery smooth operation of the OM-1 or OM-2. Bill, if you've never used an OM-1 or 2 you are in for a real treat. They are solid and I have never owned another camera, aside from a Leica years ago, that operated with such silky smoothness. And, the build quality ain't too shabby either! Indeed, Maitani was a design genius!

Thanks, Ray, it's next on my dance card. I have three Zuikos that are just languishing on
the shelf, silly to not being able to use them, great optics.

Real Name
Chris
... There's one OM that is really battery thirsty, you know which one this is?
The 1n or 2n I think are the ones I'm after, all my other cameras except
the Contax have shot or no meters at all so a purely meterless/mechanical
OM would be fine.
There are no meterless OM cameras. However there are som bargains on cameras at KEH labeled "meter inop". I suspect that means that either the meter is broken, or that it requires an obsolete battery and does not give the right reading with modern alkaline batteries.

Have you browsed the ultimate OM website yet?

Sad news indeed, but nice that he was around to see such renewed interest in the Pen.

The OMs certainly are wonderful cameras - I wish my Nikons had that huge viewfinder. The only 'fault' is that crazy hot shoe :smile:

...must be time to re-foam my OMs.

Thanks for some great cameras!

There are no meterless OM cameras. However there are som bargains on cameras at KEH labeled "meter inop". I suspect that means that either the meter is broken, or that it requires an obsolete battery and does not give the right reading with modern alkaline batteries.

Have you browsed the ultimate OM website yet?
Thanks, Chris, bookmarked. Looks like the same outfit that has all that great
info about old Nikon lenses, etc.

A broken meter is no problem, even the Viv XC-3 I used lately has a very
schizophrenic meter that can't be trusted so I use Sunny 16 or a handheld,
if I remember to pack one.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom