For My Wife

Discussion in 'People' started by nuccifamily, May 14, 2007.

1. Well, as much as I love this forum, I have fallen short when it comes to posting images. Just too busy admiring the excellent work on this site. Combine that with the fact that I truly feel my images pale in comparison to most of those posted. Well, I am going to try to contribute a little more often.

So, here is my Mother's Day gift to my beautiful wife. Inspired by Stu and other garage portrait shooters, these were taken in my garage. Additional inspiration by numerous posts and most recently by the post of flyfishdk (nico). And final inspiration by all of you whose best models are your children. I had a final product in my mind... wanted to give my wife a photo of our children with the thing they love the most. My son, Niko, is a senior and will soon leave us for the Colorado School of Mines on a full ride basketball scholarship. My daughter, Kelsea, is an incredible jazz musician and trombone player. These are their passions. Our passion is them. When it was done, I was thrilled. It was exactly what I wanted and it was used as a gift for my Mom as well. I think that I was most thrilled that my very unwilling models did such an excellent job, seemed to actually enjoy it and loved the finished product.

Yes, I know these photos are a little soft. I know that there are blown highlights on my son's arm and nose. Technically, I am still learning and my first garage experiene wasn't perfect. But, I captured my children's passion... and thus the title. Comment away on the execution, that is perfectly fine. But mostly, please comment on the inspiration, the idea and the gift.

497413981_943eb6746f_o.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2007
  2. Lovely gift Anthony. She's a lucky lady.

3. Thanks Larry. I am actually the lucky one. :smile: Oh yeah, I forgot to add that she loved it as well! And, of course, in the end that is the critic that means the most to me for these particular photos. :wink:

4. LizBug

LizBug

Mar 3, 2006
    Atco,NJ
    its perfect. that was very thoughtful of you. great job!

5. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Excellent concept and a very thoughtfull gift. Well Done Anthony!

6. Great idea, great execution, great gift!!! That's more than enough to make any mother or grandmother happy!!

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very excellent:>)))

8. Congratulations to your fine kids Anthony. Very nice mother's day present and I am certain one your wife would like. Well done.

Just an afterthought, I use a pop out diffuser to hold back the very bright part of the light so as not to blow anything out. This was not meant to take anthing away from your excellent images but rather as a help for the future.

9. Anthony............ great concept, execution and most importantly, full of emotion from you to her............

Doesn't get any better my friend.

Well done.................. :cool:

G

10. MurphyD

MurphyD

Jan 17, 2007
    South Texas
    Anthony,
    Did you purposefully ask the kids to position their personal icons on their shoulders? If so, it was a stroke of genius. If not, it was a serendipitous (sp) stroke of genius. From your description, these kids are already shouldering their responsibilities for the gifts the parents have given. And the images show it.
    Great pics either way.
    David

11. Sorry guys for the lack of response. Went to San Francisco on business this morning and just now had a chance to get online.

Thanks Liz! Appreciate the comments.

Thanks Stu! Means a lot coming from you. And, don't be shy about the actual faults in the photos as well.

Thanks Keith! It definitely made them both extremely happy.

Thanks Gale!

Thanks Gordon! I know you can definitely appreciate being so incredibly proud of your children. And, I appreciate the critique and it takes nothing away from how happy I was with this photo. I will look in to the diffuser and give it a try.

Thanks Graeme! Oh, and thanks for the pm. I am anxious to try when I return home.

Thanks David! Yes, I did... though I hadn't thought of it in the context that you described above. Great analogy.

12. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

love the off center cinematic display of these.

13. Thanks Mike!

14. tomj

tomj

Feb 5, 2006
    Oklahoma
    What a wonderful and thoughtful gift. Great job!

Congrats to your son on the scholarship. Will he be studying metallurgy there?

Regards,

15. Thanks for looking and commenting Tom. Right now, he just says engineering, but hasn't decided on a specific discipline. I think the core is the same for the first 1.5 years. Knowing my son, he will take 1 year, 5 months and 3 more weeks to decide! :biggrin: :eek: :tongue:

16. I love the pictures, I like the softness and blown highlights in any pictures, but I am weird that way... (It is because they make great B&W pictures...) :biggrin:

Very creative and good setup for the frame.

17. Thanks Dude! That's a good idea... I may have to do the B&W version for my office. Yeah, part of me actually liked the glare from the blown highlight... seemed to fit.

18. excellent gift idea & work Anthony.

19. dtbh

dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Malaysia
    What a thoughtful and wonderful gift...and an excellent idea to boot! I like your captures. I personally do not mine slightly blown highlights in available light photography. :smile: Thanks for sharing and keep on posting!

20. Thanks for commenting Roy!

Thanks Banhup! My wife said the same thing. Yes, I will attempt to post more pics in the future.