For our Doctor Who fans...

OMG!!! I'm SO jealous!!

Further proof that I'm odd, I suppose, but I have to admit that Much Ado About Nothing is my favorite play, and it just killed me to hear the announcement that the two of them were playing Benedick & Beatrice--I can't think of anyone better for those roles.

Did you see him in Hamlet? Tennant is an amazing actor, truly. I SO wish I could be in London! :actions1: :m27:

I really hope they film it. I would LOVE to see that!

Did you see him in Hamlet? Tennant is an amazing actor, truly. I SO wish I could be in London! :actions1: :m27:
I have to admit that I'd never even heard of Tennant until he started playing the Doctor when his episodes came to the States. And I have not seen him in anything else except an episode of Top Gear.

That's probably the first anyone over here heard of him, but he was with the Royal Shakespeare Company and he's done quite a lot of other work in the UK. He plays Peter Vincent in the Fright Night remake coming out next month, if you like that sort of thing. (Vampire movies aren't my thing, so unfortunately I'll be missing that one.) I'm hoping to see him do more work in the US in the future--London's a bit out of my way, after all. :rolleyes:

Well, now that I've named my Nook "The Library," I needed a more suitable cover. Here's how the new cover is coming along so far:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

If all goes according to plan, the finished cover will look like the diary, pages and all, and will completely or nearly completely conceal the Nook. :biggrin:

(Who, me? Obsessed? Well, maybe just a little...:rolleyes:)

I'll post photos of the finished cover once it's all assembled. I'm hoping to have it done today or tomorrow. We'll see how my day goes.

Dawn,
I just happened to see this ongoing conversation. I very timidly want to jump in. I say timidly because I will really sound like an idiot. But ehhhhhhhhhh what the heck, no use in changing anyone’s opinion now. I have followed Dr Who to some extent and enjoyed him. But some of the rest of this conversation leaves me totally lost. But I do remember the notorious Dr Smith on Lost in Space. Loved all those old SciFi shows. Of course I remember Dr Marcus Welby too, but I don’t guess he fits in this conversation too well. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I have followed Dr Who to some extent and enjoyed him. But some of the rest of this conversation leaves me totally lost.
There are a bunch of Dr Who fans here on the Cafe who can help you get over feeling lost. What parts of the conversation are confusing you?

But I do remember the notorious Dr Smith on Lost in Space. Loved all those old SciFi shows. Of course I remember Dr Marcus Welby too, but I don’t guess he fits in this conversation too well. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
We won't hold any of that against you :rolleyes:

We won't hold any of that against you :rolleyes:
Howard, I really appreciate your kindness & forgiveness.:biggrin: A couple years ago I watched what would have been maybe a season & a half on SciFi channel here of Dr Who. But to tell you the truth, I can't remember enough about it to even begin to tell you much about the show. I do remember liking it though. I think they have even got several seasons that you can watch instantly on NETFLIX and I have it in my instant que to watch. I am looking forward to watching them where I can watch them back to back. They are more enjoyable that way. Maybe by then I can live up to you guys' standards. Until then, I humbly beg forgiveness and request that I won't be banished from the kingdom... :eek::biggrin::biggrin::smile:

Howard, I really appreciate your kindness & forgiveness.:biggrin: A couple years ago I watched what would have been maybe a season & a half on SciFi channel here of Dr Who. But to tell you the truth, I can't remember enough about it to even begin to tell you much about the show. I do remember liking it though. I think they have even got several seasons that you can watch instantly on NETFLIX and I have it in my instant que to watch. I am looking forward to watching them where I can watch them back to back. They are more enjoyable that way. Maybe by then I can live up to you guys' standards. Until then, I humbly beg forgiveness and request that I won't be banished from the kingdom... :eek::biggrin::biggrin::smile:
Welcome into the fold, Sam. :biggrin:

The references to my Nook all relate to the double episode in Series 4 called "Silence in the Library" and "Forest of the Dead." If you watch those two episodes, you'll understand my Nook name & related photos, and the new cover I'm working on (which should be done in a few hours--yeah! :866:). I happen to know they're available streaming on Netflix.

I'm hooked, obviously. I highly recommend starting anywhere from Series 1 (Netflix probably calls it Season 1, but technically it's Series 1--long story) to Series 5. I do NOT recommend starting with the current episodes, because much of what's going will make a lot more sense if you've got some of the background. The two-parter I mentioned is actually important in order to follow what's going on now.

Glad to hear you'll be joining us in our odd conversations in the future. Looks like we've got a lot of closet Whovians here, judging by the view count on this thread. :wink:

I highly recommend starting anywhere from Series 1 (Netflix probably calls it Season 1, but technically it's Series 1--long story) to Series 5. I do NOT recommend starting with the current episodes, because much of what's going will make a lot more sense if you've got some of the background.
Very good advice! A lot of the story lines through the entire run of the series contain references, back story, and running gags from the earlier episodes. That is part of the charm of the series. Be aware, though, that the show started life as a childrens "historical drama" series but eventually morphed in to the science fiction series (with historical overtones, at times) that we know and love now.

And, I would highly recommend that you totally avoid the Peter Cushing as Dr Who movies! Besides being pretty bad, they don't really relate to anything from the series other than there are Daleks and the Doctor, and have nothing to do with the story lines from the series:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Who_(Dalek_films)

Dr. Who is a character based on the long-running BBC television science-fiction series Doctor Who. Although based upon the character of the Doctor from the television series, the character is fundamentally different, most notably in being human.

The character, portrayed by the actor Peter Cushing, appeared in two films made by AARU Productions, Dr. Who and the Daleks, which was based upon the televised serial The Daleks, and Daleks' Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D., based upon the serial The Dalek Invasion of Earth. Plans for a third film, based on The Chase, were abandoned after the poor box office performance of the second film.

Cushing made no mention of the character or films in his autobiography.

And, I would highly recommend that you totally avoid the Peter Cushing as Dr Who movies! Besides being pretty bad, they don't really relate to anything from the series other than there are Daleks and the Doctor, and have nothing to do with the story lines from the series:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Who_(Dalek_films)
+1

A particular low point for the Daleks - they get destroyed by being pushed out of first-floor windows or collisions with small vans - makes you wonder how they conquered the Earth in the first place...

+1

A particular low point for the Daleks - they get destroyed by being pushed out of first-floor windows or collisions with small vans - makes you wonder how they conquered the Earth in the first place...
Gee, shucks, and I missed that? :rolleyes:

Shhhh...spoilers. ;)

Hello, sweetie.

My finished Nook cover. :biggrin:

Inside of River's diary:

These are quick grabs with my phone. I'll take some proper shots later on. :smile:

They first levitated (to my recollection) in a Sylvester McCoy episode about a school, Sophie Aldred played Ace.

Rich
Indeed - Remembrance of the Daleks

Although I did enjoy the look on Rose Tyler (Billie Piper)'s face in the Christopher Eccleston episode Dalek when the dalek 'trapped' at the bottom of a staircase pointed its eyestalk at her and said "EL-EV-ATE!"

:biggrin::biggrin:

Indeed - Remembrance of the Daleks

Although I did enjoy the look on Rose Tyler (Billie Piper)'s face in the Christopher Eccleston episode Dalek when the dalek 'trapped' at the bottom of a staircase pointed its eyestalk at her and said "EL-EV-ATE!"

:biggrin::biggrin:
I recall that scene as well. I wondered if they were going to carry on the McCoy series precedent.

Rich

Since this is a Dr. Who thread may I start another sub-thread hijack. In the finale of the Astronaut series River Song gives the Dr. a big 'wet one' :smile: to which he doesn't respond. She then reacts to an earlier comment in which she ruminates to (I think Rory) that there will be a time when she sees the Doctor for the last time. The suggestion being that she will encounter him no more after the failed kiss...then starts up again in 'A Good Man Goes to War.' At the end of this season's first half the Doctor remembers her identity and appears to put together the long kiss she gave him earlier alluding to a more than casual relationship. I brought this conundrum to my wife and she dismissed it saying they're on different time tines, but I disagree since there is a linear time stream going on. A writer's gaff possibly?

Yes, I know much ado about nothing, but I've been following the Doctor since the seventies.

Rich

You may only hijack my thread if you like my Nook cover. :tongue:

****** :eek: SPOILER ALERT FOR HOWARD AND ANYONE ELSE WHO HASN'T SEEN THE CURRENT SEASON :eek: ************

Do not read the following discussion if you haven't seen the current season, or it will spoil the surprises. :cool:

River says they keep meeting in backwards order, so that every first for the Doctor is a last for her. They implied in Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead that the Doctor & River were intimate (the fact that she knew his name, and he said there was only one other time he ever shared his name). That was the end of her time stream, in which she had a long-standing relationship with the Doctor, but in the Doctor's personal time stream, he hadn't met her yet.

So the idea is that for each of the Doctor's meetings, as his relationship with River is moving forward, he's meeting her earlier and earlier in HER personal time stream, so in the end when she meets him for her first time, he'll know everything about their history together, but she won't even know who he is, in the same way the Doctor didn't know who she was in The Library. Time is linear for them when they're together, but when the Doctor leaves, his next visit with her will be earlier in her time stream.

I'm guessing that there will be a period of time in the middle when they are each equally in the relationship, but on either end, there will be one of them who isn't quite sure what's going on. She's getting younger while he's getting older, because they're going backward in River's personal time stream. She comments in The Library that he's younger than she's ever seen him before, and in Time of Angels, I believe, she says, "Oh, I'm going to be a professor some day! How exciting." That's because he's moving backward in her time stream, and she wasn't a professor yet (but she was at The Library). See? :smile:

Having said that, they threw a little wrench in the works by having the Doctor meet her as a baby--so the Doctor has sort of met her twice, going backward and now forward as well. If you'll notice, River said she couldn't go to the base until the very end, and the reason would be so she's not in the same place & time as both a baby and an adult.

So, that's the general idea. Whether or not the writers can effectively pull that off remains to be seen, but it's an interesting concept. I'm curious to see what they do with it from here. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom