For Pro Photog or anyone that is interested...

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by mdruiz, Aug 20, 2008.

1. mdruiz

mdruiz

Feb 18, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I've been building PC ( more for gaming) for years. I've notice alot of Nikoncafer's posting about that backup drive or main harddrive crashing. I think photog that need a stable harddrive should look into solid state drives. There just like RAM ( no moving parts ) but Harddrive size. The downfall...there expensive!

20-227-345-02.jpg

There not as big...but for 500 bucks...you cant go wrong.

2. whyhan

whyhan

Jun 14, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    500 for 128gb?? Ouch :eek:

3. mdruiz

mdruiz

Feb 18, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Yea, but there is nothing inside that breaks....

4. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    I would pay that!

5. I'll wait for prices to go down. Right now I do a double backup on my entire image archive. It's a pain, but well worth it knowing if one drive breaks, I have another one. Plus I rarely use them, only to copy files over from my laptop. So I try to keep usage at a minimum.

6. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    2 750gb externals are now $250 w/ free ship
    maybe one will break but prob not both

7. pirahnah3

pirahnah3

Feb 22, 2008
    wuss-tah
    yes solid state drives are def the way to go, either that or you will be using archival quality cds and paying it all in the end anyways. The even better thing about solid state drives is that even when microwaved they still work

( I worked at best buy and the techs and I always tried to find ways to kill things to make thyem eschange them for better ones and them little solid state pen drives WILL take a beating, evne 2 minutes in the nuke, just dont mind the fireworks display)

Also there are alot of places online that will do backups, currently i use a service called Mozy rather inexpensive for peice of mind.

8. Tektrnica

Tektrnica Guest

SolidState drives are ok, and very fast BUT... there lifetime is less than a harddrive... they will become useless waaaaaaaaay before a decent hard drive...

9. pirahnah3

pirahnah3

Feb 22, 2008
    wuss-tah
    Im curious about this and what you mean by it, could you pelase elaborate?

10. bigwilly

bigwilly

Oct 19, 2007
    Toronto
    Solid state drives, just like compact flash cards etc have limited amount of write cycles per cell (something in the range of tens of thousands of cycles the last I check). If you're reading from it, there isn't a problem and they have wear leveling algorithms that will try to distribute the writes to different cells so you aren't always writing to the same cell and causing premature failure. Hopefully, like any other computer part you'll have long upgraded before they die on you.