1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

For the butterfly & moth pros

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by threecats, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Got very quick grabs of these while shooting dragons and have no idea the names. Any books I have are much too broad to even begin to search. I love the stealth bomber in designer colors look. ID's for my own knowledge appreciated. From my very limited learning I think the last one must be a moth.

3772640980_991d9be8b4_o.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

3771833643_91c3845da0_o.jpg

3771833395_773dd03a29_o.jpg

2. Three beauties. I like the second one the best.

3. Check out the Silvery Checkerspot (Chlosyne nycteis) for #1

#2 I believe is a Wood Nymph

#3 is a Delta-winged Moth - Haematopis grataria

4. Hi Glenn

Good shots, esp. #2. First one is one of the Crescents, possibly Pearl. Second is Common Wood-nymph. They are both flying up here right now, too. Three is, indeed a moth. I'd get an account (free) at Bugguide.net and post the moth there. You'll get an answer quickly on a good photo of a distinctive critter.

Larry

5. Thanks all for the info. Those wood nymphs seem to stay down real low so I was always shooting through junk. That moth I bet I have seen often but until I actually tried to take a pic I never did notice the beautiful colors.
    Amazing how much slides by in a lifetime huh?

signed up for acct Larry. Thanks

6. I guess #3 is also called a chickweed geometer

7. hmm - yeah looks like I got the common name wrong - but the scientific one right :) 

8. Don't know the names but the colors in the last picture are great.

9. Great shots, Glenn. That moth looks like it was helping my wife pick blackberries:biggrin:.
    There are many colorful moths that most of us never see because of their habit of flying only at night.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.