For the last few days, I just wanted a film...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bendheim, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Well, I'm back from the National Geographic Traveller shoot. It was a difficult shoot, in part because of the terrain (Flat, bushy and very harsh lighting) and the nature of the assignment, and the fact that there were just no really exceptional moments when you have that feeling that you got a winning shot. Anyway, I think I have a lot of reasonably average shots, but nothing to make me say gee whiz wow.

On the positive side, the D2X performed just brilliantly in 40 deg Centigrade dusty conditions and using the AF-on button focus method I've now adopted, I'd say 95 percent were in focus.

So why did I want a film..?

Well, I have now sat for my 4th evening in a row till 3am trying to select about 150 of the best shots. Each shot needs to be individually converted from RAW (too much variation to use batch) and then post processed to look as good as possible. Granted, I'm a bit of a perfectionist, but then with NG you have to send them really good material. I don't want someone else doing the post on my work and not getting the nuances right because they were not actually there themselves.

This is many, many hours of work. NG want the material ASAP; and in fact I'd say that the post processing is actually more tiring by far than the actual shooting.

On the job itself, there is downloading into the laptop, battery charging for the next day, all sorts of electronic admin.

Now those folk that shoot slide film for people like NG just shove the rolls of film into an envelope and courier them off. They are sitting chilled out or doing the next job.

Aside of that, NG don't pay for any PP work but only for the shooting time of the assignment.

At times like this, I wish I'd grabbed my Leica M6, my two or three lenses and off you go. NO laptops, battery chargers, cards, sensor cleaners, and so on.

Gotta say I love the digital world, but don't let anyone tell you that it's either cheaper or easy than the film days were!

Back to Photoshop I go; and some more hours of eye and mouse strain.

Best

Peter

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Welcome back Peter.

I look forward to seeing some of your shots.

Thanks for checking in with us.

3. Hi Patrick...promise to show you when I have permission to do so.

I'll be checking out soon (on the 18th) for a whole month of working/vacation in Malaysia...I'm so excited for that...

My only disappointment is that I'll miss the D200's retail launch at low SE Asia prices by a week...

I need to plan my trips better!

4. Courier-ing CF cards?? What do you think about the feasibility of an analogous system for courier-ing off or uploading the CF cards from the day's shoot for post-processing by a lab or by a trusted assistant -- thus freeing up the Digital Pro's evening for the enjoyment of a well-earned frosty mug? Of course you would need a larger stack of CFs, but eventually you'd get them back. It could work....
    Well, it was very interesting to hear about dealing with post-processing from a professional point-of-view. Wishing you good shooting....

5. Peter, Peter, Peter....simple solution....

Just shoot 150 good ones and send them a CD :rolleyes:

You do bring up an excellent point, however, one which really hits home every time I sit down after a football game and wonder at my sanity.

Please let us know when these will appear, this will be an issue I won't want to miss.

Did you see the comments regarding the Super Bowl a year ago? You think you have it bad, 20,000 or so images shot, hurts my brain just thinking about it :smile:

One question re: workflow. I generally do run a batch to "get close" which I then use to make my "first cut" selection, and then only those do I work to completion. Was there still too much variation for you to do this?

40 degrees, it is about that here today, oh, wait, C vs. F.....I'll bet YOU weren't wearing a heavy coat :wink:

Thanks,

6. Ah, if only I was that good...and if life was that simple....

Sigh

Peter

7. Peter, you are, and it isn't :biggrin:

I start with 15,000 find 150 OK, 5 that I really like and if I'm really lucky, 1 that someone other than my wife likes as well :redface: :redface: :redface:

Not much different than film, then I could only afford, dollar wise, the film to shoot the 150. If I figure in my time, I think I'm making about .000002 penny US per hour..........