1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

For the railfans on the "cafe"

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by f_bayonet, Aug 3, 2009.

1. f_bayonet

f_bayonet

Aug 1, 2009
    New Jersey
    Here's a few to enjoy. Different eras and of course different equiptment. The only constant was that it was always Nikon and Kodachrome 64. As a personal favorite, the Nikon F-5 is the most superb camera I've ever used. My D2X can't touch it.

For the electric locomotive fans, we have a set of Conrail GG-1's rolling southbound thru Elizabeth, N.J. Nikon FM 50mm f1.4 AIS

3569554275_0ec1ca36b3_o.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

a

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2010
  2. AllThumz

AllThumz

Feb 24, 2009
    Albany, Oregon
    Thanks for not calling us foamers :biggrin: Those are some really killer pictures. The CSX pig train is the top one for me.

I miss the color schemes of the fallen flags. I wish I had taken more pictures then.

Regards,
    John

3. Great shots! #3 needs a tad of horizon leveling.

4. What year was the shot of the GG1 done?? When I was much younger I had various gauges of model railroads and my favorite locomotive was the GG1.

5. f_bayonet

f_bayonet

Aug 1, 2009
    New Jersey
    The G's

The Conrail G's were taken 11/1978. Here's an Amtrak version.

6. Jaws

Jaws

Mar 27, 2007
    Columbia, MD
    Those are all great shots. I love the old trains the variety of colors they were painted in. I wish I had done a lot of train photography years ago when I lived in NE PA and got to see the trains all of the time.

The GG-1 is real sweet, but I also appreciated the Erie Lackawanna pic as I am from a part of NE PA which was just a few miles south of Lackawanna County and used to see these trains often years ago.

7. WOW.......
    Those are great

8. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Thanks for sharing. My son Ben will love to see these.

Cheers,

9. f_bayonet

f_bayonet

Aug 1, 2009
    New Jersey
    Glad you liked 'em!

I was hoping others would add to the thread. I love to see what other fans are upto with their cameras and such.

A couple more for your viewing pleasure....................

And last up, the Conrail Office Car Special (executive train ) storms along at Enon Valley, Pennsylvania Nikon F-5 AF 85mm f1.8 D Kodachrome 64

2738936472_ddd8d41b74_o.png

10. Those are all good train images. The Amtrak GG1 showes how Amtrak was struggling to keep equipment running and was not washing the GG1's. Look at how clean the ATSF 97 is along with the other locomotives in the consist as a comparison.

The ATSF 97 is FP45 that was gotten from Amtrak.

11. pr549f2678

pr549f2678

Jun 26, 2007
    central Fl
    Those are super shots for I love trains and you sure have a nice set
    of pictures, I really like the Chessie for I have a G scale of that with
    the caboose.

Thanks for sharing,
    Phil.............:smile:

12. Jaws

Jaws

Mar 27, 2007
    Columbia, MD
    This is a real nice image. That is great that you were able to capture and preserve the special paint job on these trains.

13. f_bayonet

f_bayonet

Aug 1, 2009
    New Jersey
    A Few More........................

I'm happy you enjoyed the photos. Have another Chessie shot.

A pair of Chessie geeps rest at Elizabeth, N.J. Nikon FM 50mm f1.4 AIS Kodachrome 64

2907827547_32bcb59c62_o.png

Next, a Delaware & Hudson ALCo Century 628 stares you in the face at Colonie, N.Y. Nikon F-3HP 50mm f1.4 AIS Kodachrome 64

View attachment 389531

and last up, a set of Norfolk Southern EMD SD-80MAC's still lettered for Conrail speed west at Cassandra, Pa. Nikon F-5 AF 300mm f2.8 Kodachrome 64

View attachment 389532

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.