For those familiar with Brigantine NJ Preserves...

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by MMarz, Aug 6, 2008.

1. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I am hoping to take a trip in the next three weekends, primarily for shore birds and raptors.

I have been to E.Forsythe Preserve and would do it again but for two reasons... 1) I hear the green flies are out of control. A manageable situation if it were this alone, but 2) I had my wife's truck last trip to Forsythe and my car (lowered with track inspired suspension) would sustain irreparable damage if I tried to navigate the dirt road.

That said, Forsythe is the venue I am looking for, though one accessible by foot. I am not opposed to some hiking..in fact, I'd prefer a little trek.

If you are familiar with the NJ sea shore, and have any suggestions along the lines of The Brig / Forsythe, I'd appreciate hearing some ideas. I am coming from Long Island.. I'd consider someplace else along the shore, with Forsythe being about as far south as I want to go. Alternatively, I'd consider the CT shore line if it is a target rich location.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2008
  2. aman17

aman17

Sep 27, 2006
    New Jersey,USA
    Mike ,try the meadowlands.It's awesome and great trails .all walking ,celery farm in allendale NJ only about 1 mile but very nice or Sandy Hook.Good luck.

3. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Arnie, thanks for the suggestions... Sandy Hook is on my short list. Meadowlands..anything in particular there?

4. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    I think a little farther south and there is great birding in Cape May

5. I was in Cape May last weekend. Most of the preserve area around the dunes were off limits as the Plover's had hatched young ones. There really wasn't much else there beside some swans, sandpipers, a few egrets and too many seagulls.

Below Ocean City, at Corson's Inlet State Park there were some egrets and a few nesting osprey.

Farther north, Manasquan Reservoir has two osprey nests that are close to the shoreline near the Environmental Center trail and a second just past the EC. There is also a bald eagle nest but you can't get anywhere near it to photograph it. They have a remote video camera set up on the eagles nest which you can view in the EC.

6. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks Jeff.. I may skip this trip. From what I am hearing, there isn't much more to see than what I have at the preserve's within minutes of me.

7. aman17

aman17

Sep 27, 2006
    New Jersey,USA
    Michael do a Google search and it will give you all the details about the meadowlands.I thought it was nice and I went at the end of the winter.sorry I got back to you so late.good luck and if you need more details give me a holler.OBTW bklyn botanical gardens is very nice.If I remember Tues is free.Good luck

8. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks again.. I may skip this trip. My fall schedule is starting to heat up so on behalf of keeping my marriage, it might make sense to skip. Plus it looks like most of what I will see along the shore can be found at the more local preserves.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.