For those of you that strongly like or dislike tree rats

Much as I enjoyed seeing my little squirrelly visitors to my deck this past summer, I would not want to have one of them as a pet, even though I did give one particularly greedy guy a name, "Smaug." There were three different ones who came to feast on the bird seed that I'd put out for the sparrows. After a while I bought additional food that contained peanuts and sunflower seeds so that the squirrels would leave the birdseed alone, but they didn't and everybody ate everything anyway! I had to stop feeding my little furred and feathered friends when the neighbors began complaining about seeds flying around and landing on their decks and the birds and squirrels coming-and-going. Oh, well, it was fun while it lasted!

In parts of the US squirrels are hunted for food and states have a squirrel hunting season
When I was about six years old, my older brother and our father would occasionally go to a friend's property that had lots of squirrels in the trees. They would shoot them with a 22-caliber rifle; my father would skin them; and my mother would cook them.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I love the squirrels but I love the birds too. I have lots of both. The easy answer is squirrel proof feeders, like this one:

1607885222795.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

If you put loose food out, for example on a table, you will get rats, real rats. And I don't love them. Always use good feeders.

Last edited:
When I was a little girl we had a pet rabbit for a while...."Inky" was his name. At some point it became evident that Inky was actually a female.... My mother was not about to deal with what was next, so Inky was given away to friends who lived on a farm. Not sure of what happened after that, but somehow I always had the feeling that Inky may have eventually met a fate where Rabbit Stew was involved.....

Never heard of anyone serving and eating rabbit for Christmas dinner, though -- that's a first! What happened to traditional goose or turkey?

When I was a little girl we had a pet rabbit for a while...."Inky" was his name. At some point it became evident that Inky was actually a female.... My mother was not about to deal with what was next, so Inky was given away to friends who lived on a farm. Not sure of what happened after that, but somehow I always had the feeling that Inky may have eventually met a fate where Rabbit Stew was involved.....

Never heard of anyone serving and eating rabbit for Christmas dinner, though -- that's a first! What happened to traditional goose or turkey?
Several times over the past 40+ years. Have done duck, goose, lab, beef, venison, salmon, pheasant, but never turkey! This year . . . . Mike Buckley's Crab Cakes!

Forgot about Duck and Pheasant as potential Christmas dinners, and I think some people choose Ham, although I always associate that as well as Lamb with Easter.....

Well, my own rather simple Christmas dinner will be Shrimp, as that truly is one of my favorite meals and since I'll be dining alone (no thanks to COVID-19), that's the meal of choice!

Forgot about Duck and Pheasant as potential Christmas dinners, and I think some people choose Ham, although I always associate that as well as Lamb with Easter.....

Well, my own rather simple Christmas dinner will be Shrimp, as that truly is one of my favorite meals and since I'll be dining alone (no thanks to COVID-19), that's the meal of choice!
Actually, we had a heritage ham from Kentucky last year, with pheasant for my daughter (no red meat).

Last edited:
Real Name
Bill Walderman
I too have actually hunted and eaten squirrel, on a single occasion a long time ago. Though I tried, I'm not sure I actually managed to shoot a squirrel, but my friend shot enough for a meal, and his wife prepared the feast. The meat was by no means awful, but it wasn't particularly delectable, either, and it's not an experience I would ever repeat. I like squirrels, but not for dinner.

A story. There once was a man who often threw treats to a cute little squirrel that lived near the man's property. The man put out ears of corn, bread with peanut butter and whatever else he fancied the little fellow might like. This went on for some time. Then it happened that the man went on vacation for a couple of weeks and so was not seen by the squirrel. The furry one grew concerned—not about the man so much as the treats which had also stopped appearing. What could have happened? Before long the curious rodent took the initiative and chewed a hole through the back door of the man's house, and thus had his way with the contents of the premises for several days until the man returned. The man was displeased in the extreme and the squirrel was quickly and unceremoniously sentenced to death. The moral of our tale is that a cute rat is still a rat. The end.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom