For those of you that strongly like or dislike tree rats

Squirrels are a cute, highly intelligent pestilence. We are engaged in continuous warfare with them over our vegetable garden. If we lived at our cabin, I would shoot and or poison them. They are too smart to trap. Unfortunately, we live in a city so shooting is illegal and poisoning is too great a risk for pets and children in the neighborhood.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Squirrels are a cute, highly intelligent pestilence. We are engaged in continuous warfare with them over our vegetable garden. If we lived at our cabin, I would shoot and or poison them. They are too smart to trap. Unfortunately, we live in a city so shooting is illegal and poisoning is too great a risk for pets and children in the neighborhood.
The solution is to cage in your vegetables. We have permanent cages for all our fruit and vegatables (except potatoes). If we didn't the deer (three species), rabbits, pheasants and other birds would eat them.

Last edited:
I have trapped squirrels when I lived in town but as a kid we would shoot them and pan fry them. Now I live out in the country and see very few. The 7 barn cats and the coyotes seem to keep their numbers down. We do have lots of geese every year at our Pond but I like them and they fall under migratory bird rules and seasons. Squirrel has no season it is always open.

I just now remembered that my next-door neighbor regularly saw a squirrel in his yard that had an open leg wound. So he put food out for the squirrel that contained some medicine, though I don't remember which medicine. A couple weeks later the squirrel's leg looked normal so he stopped feeding it.

When I was a little girl we had a pet rabbit for a while...."Inky" was his name. At some point it became evident that Inky was actually a female.... My mother was not about to deal with what was next, so Inky was given away to friends who lived on a farm. Not sure of what happened after that, but somehow I always had the feeling that Inky may have eventually met a fate where Rabbit Stew was involved.....
Wow, you just reminded me of some memories. When I was young we had several pets- rabbits, gerbils, guinea pigs, chickens, ducks, etc. They all started a tiny young cute fellows. As they got bigger, they all went to our friends farm, where they would have room to play. I now, 60 years later, realize I never met these friends with the farm. I am unaware my parents had friends with a farm, and there were no farms locally.
I wonder where hoppy, my pet rabbit, ended up.
gary

A story. There once was a man who often threw treats to a cute little squirrel that lived near the man's property. The man put out ears of corn, bread with peanut butter and whatever else he fancied the little fellow might like. This went on for some time. Then it happened that the man went on vacation for a couple of weeks and so was not seen by the squirrel. The furry one grew concerned—not about the man so much as the treats which had also stopped appearing. What could have happened? Before long the curious rodent took the initiative and chewed a hole through the back door of the man's house, and thus had his way with the contents of the premises for several days until the man returned. The man was displeased in the extreme and the squirrel was quickly and unceremoniously sentenced to death. The moral of our tale is that a cute rat is still a rat. The end.
My neighbor was feeding squirrels, birds and any other creatures that might happen by his animal restaurant. When he returned home from being in the hospital, he found the squirrels had chewed through his garage door and found the seeds and whatever he'd been feeding them. They ate nearly 50lbs of seed in just a few days, chewed holes in the plastic garbage cans and other plastic items in his garage. He no longer feeds the wild critters. I did manage to get a few photos of the squirrels thanks to his feeding them.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Wow, you just reminded me of some memories. When I was young we had several pets- rabbits, gerbils, guinea pigs, chickens, ducks, etc. They all started a tiny young cute fellows. As they got bigger, they all went to our friends farm, where they would have room to play. I now, 60 years later, realize I never met these friends with the farm. I am unaware my parents had friends with a farm, and there were no farms locally.
I wonder where hoppy, my pet rabbit, ended up.
gary
Hm......now that I think of it, looking back, I never got to visit that farm and never met my parents' friends who lived there, either..... I was a naive kid, just took my parents' word for things and I suspect was discouraged from asking too many questions....

We had a cat, too, who like to go strolling around the neighborhood daytimes and nighttimes..... One night he went out and never came home. He just disappeared. Only years later did my mother finally tell me that Snoopy had been hit by a car, fatally injured. At the time it happened, for whatever reason my parents decided to "protect" me and just let me assume that he'd run away and disappeared.....

A good friend's little girl went away from home for a few days. As she was about to leave, she reminded her parents to take good care of her pet fish. While she was gone, the fish died. When she returned home, she wondered if her parents maybe fed her fish too much food because it was a bit fatter.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom