1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

For those that have used multiple photo book printers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Matt S, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Who provides the best quality? I have read all kinds of reviews and basically everyone either loves one company or another, but nowhere can I find a comparison between them all. Price is not the driving factor on this one. Binding and print quality is. So if you have experience with two or more bands of photobook printers please let me know what your impressions are. Thanks.

One more important item. They must have 2 to 3 aspect ratios available in their layouts. I really don't want to have to crop every single photo to a new ratio.

FYI this is a wedding book.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2008
  2. I'm interested in hearing opinions on this topic too.

I did a photo book about 2.5 years ago using blurb.com, and I was satisfied with the quality, but that was in the early days of online book publishing. I'm sure blurb offers more and better options now, but there may be better sites.

3. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Well I have printed books using both MyPublsiher and Shutterfly. Books are comparably priced and there are frequent 2 for 1 offers.

MyPublisher uses nice glossy photo paper and offers really nice book jackets. Books look very professional! IMHO, template and font choices are limited but adequate. You download the s/w, work on your computer, then upload when you are ready. You can also share the book with others via internet, but fonts may be too small to be read on line. Best for "coffee table book" look.

Shutterfly papers are not quite as glossy. You upload photos and work while on the internet. IMHO Shutterfly offers more choices of templates and fonts. You can also share the book with others via internet. I actually like the on-line sharing (2 page) view better than MyPublisher (1 page). I can't remember if fonts are large enough to be read on-line. Shutterfly is great for books of family vacations, weddings, birthdays, trips, etc.
    I made a book of my trip to Greece. Someone commented that the white houses and churches might not have looked as good if they had been printed on high gloss paper by My Publisher.

Beware - both offer photo enhancements (like increased saturation or auto cropping!). Check the cropping of every photo and if you have already processed your photos, turn OFF all enhancements or you will get garish colors!

Both offer good products. I've gotten a lot of pleasure sharing photos via my coffee table books. It's a lot easier than toting around a laptop!

And they make GREAT gifts (Christmas is coming ....:eek: )

4. kenyee

kenyee

Jan 12, 2008
    Boston, PRofMA
    Do any of them let you upload an image for a page's background (or the background across two adjacent pages)? I've been looking for this w/ no luck...

Major thumbs down for inkubook...matte paper and you can see the dots from the images like it was printed from a laser printer..

5. another +1 for MyPublisher, but kenyee I don't think they allow an image for background.

I also think MPIX has some nice products.

6. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    When I want a special background or composite, I just create it in PS, then save as JPEG. For instance, I had a landscape shot of the mountains in Bhutan and there is a white spot high in the mountains that is actually the monastery called The Tiger's Nest.

In PS, I took this photo, and added an "inset" that showed what the Tiger's Nest looked like so that viewers could tell how far away and how high in the mtns the actual destination was. I even added an arrow pointing from the spot to the inset and added custom text using the font I wanted - positioned where I wanted it.

I sometimes do the same with text and fonts. If the book s/w doesn't offer me the tools to do what I want, I just do it in PS before I flatten and save as JPEG.

Side note: Almost all of the templates from any of the book s/w programs limit you to where the text is, how big it can be, etc.

7. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    I used Shutterfly in the past and their books were nice - nothing outstanding IMHO!

I recently used mpix for some books and they have a more professional feel compared to shutterfly. You can upload images across 2 pages and then add additional images on top. You can have a custom wrap around hard cover. The standard paper is OK, the linen paper is beautiful.

If you're doing wedding albums and your a pro photographer, I've heard excellent things about Millers, Graphi Studio, Asuka and Kiss (I believe with all of these you need to apply for use and demonstrate you are a pro)

Good luck

8. Thanks for the replies everyone. Keep them coming.

I have applied for, and got in with Kiss books. However their books start at several hundred dollars. Not a problem, I expect to use them, but that was not built into the budget for this particular wedding.

Sorry to leave the thread hanging so long. My internet was out until about a minute ago.

9. Well I think I have made a decision. After download both my publisher software and blurb and playing for a bit. I think I will use the blurb book. I will say this thread really helped. Thanks for taking photos of your book, It answered my questions.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  10. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Wonderful!

Let us know you how the book turns out!

11. Hi Matt,

I did not reply to your request since you asked for folks that had used multiple printers, but I see you found the now a bit old thread I started on the Blurb books. Their software has improved a lot since I did that first book. The second book I did was a lot easier to do. Started working on a third and need to finish it one of these days.

Bob

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  12. kenyee

kenyee

Jan 12, 2008
    Boston, PRofMA
    After asking around a bit, picaboo allows you to have images for backgrounds and appears to have a lot of templates as well. Just FYI. I haven't tried it yet though, so I can't comment on what it looks like...

13. I have used picaboo once and will use them againg but the 5x7 was way too small, I don't know what I was thinking. They give you a link to tons of nice backgrounds and enough space for my journaling needs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.