For those traveling photographers out there...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jon H, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Jon H

Jon H

Jun 25, 2005
    Stockton, CA
    Suggestions por favor! I am planning on spending next year in the Netherlands studying business and backpacking throughout Europe. I am just curious as to what you all would take with you if you were in my position. By the time I depart for Europe, I plan to have.. my D70, kit lens, 18-200mm VR, 50mm f/1.8, and SB-600 (maybe more) all held in the LowePro Mini Trekker Classic. If you were me, what would you take?? Everything? only certain things? Please keep in mind that I will be backpacking for about a total of 3 months (one month at a time), so weight and size is somewhat if an issue. Also, how would you carry it all? Gear in small cases in large backpack? The last time I did this, I only had a P&S film camera so it was not a problem. Also, I prefer just to carry one large pack when I am abroad. Any tips or suggestions are welcome.. photography related or not. Thanks all!

2. FishSauce

FishSauce

Aug 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    How about an additional 12-24mm, this thing is great for landscape.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    What king of photography do you do the most of.
    By they way , sounds just great.. Wish I was young and could do what you are doing :>)))

4. I would say take everything. It's a long trip and you probably need everything you have.

The Mini Trekker will take care of all your gears, but there is no room for other things like clothes and personal items. When I was backpacking in Europe(a long long time ago), I had a large backpack for all the travelling items, and a small shoulder camera bag (I only had a Olympus OM-2, a few small lenses and a flash to carry). When I reached a city/town, I left the backpack in the hostel or the locker in the train station and went exploring with the camera bag only.

5. Jon H

Jon H

Jun 25, 2005
    Stockton, CA
    While I'm there I will mostly be shooting landscapes and architecture. And it's never to late for travel!! =)

6. jkamphof

jkamphof Guest

I also would take everything as many opportunities will arise while being there and you'll just anger yourself later by leaving a lens behind. "Never leave a lens behind" as they say.

I lived in Rotterdam and the architecture there will keep you busy for a while, so will the new towers in Den Haag. Smaller towns like Haarlem, Zandvort, Deft, etc, etc, etc have some beautiful small centres with wonderful old markets and churches. The countryside and towns out of the Randstad is incredible and if you spend weekends biking or walking around you'll never be short of photo opportunites.

Have fun!!

7. I have done quite a bit of travel, mainly with my wife, who always wants to take everything but the kitchen sink. I am a minimalist at heart, as I am burdened by having to carry so much stuff and worrying about keeping it up with it all.

That said, I would just carry the D70, 18-200, and 50/1.8 for indoors and low-light shooting.

Have you thought about how you will store your pictures? Taking a laptop? I would think about a compact laptop with a DVD burner. I like having extra backups which I can store someplace safe, and DVD-roms fill the bill.

My wife and I will be going to New Zealand for most of January, and I intend to take a D70 and a D70s (one for each of us), with the 28-200 on one and the 18-70 on the other, and carry along the 50/1.8. I will leave the 70-300 at home. I'll also take my latop with CD burner and plan to burn copies of all pictures to CD nightly.

Still waffling on the monopod, but will probably leave it at home also.

8. Jon H

Jon H

Jun 25, 2005
    Stockton, CA
    thanks!

Thank you for those who replied. After reading your suggestions, I think I will definitely take the 18-200mm and the 50mm, and the 12-24mm if I decide to "invest" in one. :rolleyes: I will most likely leave the kit lens at home to keep weight and size down as much as possible. Also, I will have my PowerBook there for school, but not with me when I am backpacking. I have an external hard drive made for downloading data from memory cards, but I might sell that since I would need to charge it once in a while. So... I'll probably be taking multiple memory cards (also smaller and lighter). That's about it for now.. thanks again! :smile:

9. Agree. There are lots of narrow streets, alleyways, castles which require a 12-24 to take advantage of.

Rich

10. I can't tell you what equip to take because I am not a pro but I can advise you to put all of your equip in a roller bag so that it won't be so heavy. This is what I am looking for. A bag on rollers.