For those who are running CS3 on OS 10.5

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by ubetcha, Aug 23, 2008.

1. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    I'm looking at upgrading to a new MacBook Pro with OS10.5 and have heard of some issues running CS3. Any and all input will be appreciated. What say you?

2. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    I'm running CS3 on Leopard both on my Mac Pro desktop and MacBook Pro. No issues for me with the latest Adobe and Apple software updates.

I say go for it!

3. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    Thanks so much Scott, just waiting to get the good word so I can pull the trigger. BTW what do you have in your MBP, is it 15" or 17 etc?

4. jaysinnva

jaysinnva

Nov 1, 2007
    Virginia
    I'm using a current-gen MBP with PS CS3 on 10.5.4 with no issues. It's an awesome setup :smile:

5. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    Thans Jason, what are the specs on your MBP, the new 15" MBP I'm looking at will have 2.5ghz processor, 200gb 7200sata drive, 4gigs ram and a glossy screen. Any other/additional recommendations?

6. jaysinnva

jaysinnva

Nov 1, 2007
    Virginia
    I have the 2.4GHz 15" with 4GB, standard 200GB hdd and matte screen. One suggestion, upgrade the RAM to 4GB yourself (from Newegg or somewhere), instead of ordering it that way. It'll save you around $100.

7. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I use CS3 on a Mac Pro and Macbook Pro running OS 10.5.4 with no problems.

8. I've had no problems running CS3 on my Mac Pro..... However, to be fair, I really don't use it all that much, as I tend to use Aperture for my primary PP and only if I want to do a little extra tinkering do I get into CS3.

9. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    Thanks for the input John and Connie, Mike

10. RGB Bob

RGB Bob Guest

Same here, CS3 10.0.1 runs like clockwork on my Mac Pro as well as the MBP. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2008
  11. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    It even works well on my first gen Macbook so pretty much any MBP should handle just fine :wink:

12. Golive CS3 on Leopard is supposed to have problems but I haven't found any yet. I don't think PS CS3 has documented problems, though I could be wrong.

13. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Ihave a 17" MacBookPro (about 3 months old now) and run CS3 (about 2 months old!) and everything working perfectly

14. If your getting a MBP to do editing on, get the matte screen. NOT the glossy. the glossy screen over saturates your colors and gives you deeper blacks. so in other words, you aren't seeing the true colors. it just makes them look better. so to you, the picture will be nice.... but to people with out the exact same screen, won't see what you did. that is coming straight from an Apple Genius.

just my .02

15. SkatetoPunk

SkatetoPunk Guest

currently using mbp less than a month old 4gigs of ram 10.5.4 and cs3 and have encountered a fair deal of issues.. seemingly most of them are related to permissions and have been mostly fixed by running the permission repair a few times.. but still not as perfect as i woulda liked

16. demosaic

demosaic Guest

One hitch

10.5 officially supports case-sensitive filesystems, but Photoshop will not install on one (due, frankly, to some pretty shabby practices on Adobe's part).

The system disk is formatted case-insensitive by default, but if you opt to reinstall 10.5 in case-sensitive mode (which was my strong desire), you'll find Photoshop won't work.

Just FYI.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.