For those without primes

This weekend I was "elected" by my wife and a few of her friends to take photos at my daughter's 4H Fashion Review.

I show up to the location only to find that they were not going to allow flash (ok, I can deal with that) and that the event was being held of the chapel at the "We Don't Believe in Lighting" church. This location was dark and, to make it worse, a lot of the lighting came in from stained class windows on each side (they added to the fun by added red in some spots and blue in others).

Test shots of the runway at F/2.8-3.2 and 1/125th were coming in at about 6400 ISO. I know the D700 is good for higher ISO shots, but I really wanted to stay around 3200ish or lower.

I ended up pulling out my trusty 50mm prime and shooting from a set location. Shots were done at 1/125th and F/1.8 to F/2.0. While we lost a little in sharpness due to "rapid walk syndrome" and the "wiggles" that most of the kids had, the shots turned out totally respectable for a volunteer gig.

Anyone that doesn't believe in having a prime in your pocket, needs to re-consider.... Even a "Nifty 50" would have done the job by bringing ISO into an acceptable level at this location.

A few samples:

50mm F/2.0 at 1/125 and ISO 2500
dsc_8210e.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

50mm F/2.0 at 1/125 and ISO 2500
dsc_8202e.jpg

50mm F/2.0 at 1/125 and ISO 2800
dsc_8182e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good shots given the lighting. I find I need to touch up the photos in Topaz to add interest when the lighting is so flat and poor.

nice work.

i'm actually making a concerted move back into prime glass after years of using f2.8 zooms.

i'm almost back to my Cadet Kit! (24mm, 50mm, 105mm, 200mm).

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom