For you old Rockers in the Cafe....

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Backdoctor, Jun 4, 2007.

1. I have been scanning some old photos, and now with the help of Iliah, some negatives. He has also helped me with PP'ing. Here is a sampling of some of the concerts I shot in the late 1970's and early 80's. I shot with a Yashica TL Super. It was manual focus with split screen, match needle metering. Most of these scanned from print, negative and some slide. The print film was Kodak Safety Film 5075, ISO 400 pushed to 800.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

this next one is a scan of a faded print, I just found the original negative and will scan that:
    original.

original.

original.

original.

this one, while blurry, does give you an idea of what was going on..
    original.

and finally what better way to end it up...(hope I find this negative to redo)
    original.

2. Great pics, and you really ended the series on a superb note! Love Clapton.... still.

3. mikeyd86

mikeyd86 Guest

Sweeeeeet zappa shot.

4. ahhh, brings back memories of <$10 concert tickets....what I can remember, anyway :biggrin:

5. LOL, how true!! When you break it down though, I was earning a buck an hour when I saw a lot of concerts in the early 70's. That would make a concert cost me 7-10 hours' labour. I went to Clapton's last concert here in Toronto and it only cost me 2.5 hours' of my billable rate. As we get older, our concerts get cheaper????!!!! :biggrin: Of course, at his last concert, you could have heard a pin drop when he played, and the air wasn't thick with 'smoke' so things have improved!

6. kilm53

kilm53 Guest

7. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Yes...In the Round!

Emerson Lake and Palmer!

Two of my favorite bands from the 70's.

Great stuff man!!!

(I've gotta dig up some shots of Yes I did a couple of years ago. Chris Squire looks like he swallowed a small farm animal and Steve Howe looks like a demented scientist! :biggrin:)

8. Your are way sharper than mine. I had to manually focus, manually meter with match needle. I did get some ok ones, but if you had been closer you would have done even better.

Bournemouth? Havent been there since 1983, loved it!

9. Yes tends to play in the round a lot. Yeah, Howe looks like an old man with coke bottle glasses, and very thin hair, hunched over.

He is playing with Karl Palmer in Asia here in Florida. Cant get anyone to go with me...

10. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand

Man, if I wasn't literally on the other side of the world, I'd go in a heartbeat. Carl Palmer, is one of the greatest drummers ever!

Anyway, I could only find a couple...from Germany in 2003. Talk about then and now! LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

far out! Grace Slick & Jefferson Airplane, Frank Zappa, Eric Clapton!!! Thanks for a trip down trip lane. Saw most of them in Vancouver 1970-72. Great shots.

12. jcovert

jcovert Guest

Wicked pics and thread!! Loved 'em all. Wish I was there for the ELP the most though!!

13. Awesome shot of Todd Rundgren and Utopia. I saw the same show in Dallas.

14. Nils

Nils

Mar 30, 2007
    Aptos, California
    clapton is so awesome, scanning negatives is quite an art, it looks like your figuring it out pretty good.
    nils

15. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    I am a huge Todd Rundgren/Utopia fan so naturally that one is my favorite. Looks like that one was taken during the RA tour?

16. Cool pics, Zappa and Clapton are still 2 of my favorites.
    I missed a really cool concert not to far from my Brothers place a few years back in a village hall, half way through the concert Eric Clapton and Phil Collins appear and do a set then go. Missed the concert due to being ill :mad:

17. Very nice series, love that last shot of Slow Hand.:biggrin:

18. Yes, I believe that is from the Ra tour. What a great show that was. I've seen Todd 5 or 6 times. The guy only gets better with age.:biggrin:

19. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama

He was in Birmingham a few weeks ago but I had to miss the show. :mad: YouTube has some outstanding Todd/Utopia videos that are playing in the background on my computer right now. Type in Rundgren Freedom Fighters and Rundgren Seven Rays. Both are excellent versions of these songs.

20. Frank Zappa. . . brings back memories. . . I had a large poster of him sitting on the john taped to my living room wall at one time.