Ford Museum of American Innovation

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by gnagel, Nov 9, 2017.

1. I visited the Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation in Dearborn, Michigan on a rainy Sunday. Needless to say, the museum was quite crowded that day. The first picture that I hoped to capture was the Ford Plaza of Innovation...the large open space that greets visitors as the enter the museum. An amazing feature of this plaza is the centerpiece...with the shovel and cornerstone that commemorates the dedication of the museum. Thomas Edison was on hand--and that's his signature and his footprints in that large piece of concrete in the center of the frame!

Here's how I captured this image:
    I placed the camera on a tripod and took one exposure when the floor was as empty as possible. From there, I looked to the far left of the frame--and snapped another exposure when that segment was mostly free of people. Then, I shifted my attention to the next area of the floor and pressed the shutter when that area was mostly free of visitors. In the end, I took seven pictures--of seven different segments of the floor when each piece was mostly free of people. Then, I combined those seven pictures together in Photoshop--taking just the free portions of each of the 7 images. From there, my remaining cloning work was minimal.

But, I still had a problem. I didn't want to have to bracket all of these images! So, my blended exposure had issues--the cornerstone in particular (which is lit) was blown out. Fortunately, I anticipated that at the scene and captured another exposure that was underexposed by a couple of stops...and then used that exposure to recover the highlights.

But, I still had a problem! I noticed that the video board just below the cornerstone was all blurry. The images on that screen keep changing...and sometimes has a video on it. With my 5 second exposures, the board was a mess. So, I boosted my ISO up, opened the aperture...and with the faster shutter speed (now 1/250th), I waited until the video board displayed an appropriate text (it says "Generations of visitors from around the world have come here to envision our past, the present and the future."). I used that as my final blend in Photoshop--so that small piece in the frame is ISO 1,250 while the rest of the image is ISO 64.

p2615599488-5.

I have more of these to process...a vertical, and then others from very close to the cornerstone.

By the way, my favorite part of this museum was getting to sit inside the actual bus that Rosa Parks sat on when she refused to give up her seat.

Thanks for looking...and reading!

Glenn

• Like Like x 1
  2. As in all your interiors this one looks perfect.

Cheers

3. What a clever way to go about this Glenn - resulting in a very nice image.

4. Thanks Alan...much appreciated
    Thank you, Fred

Glenn

5. Glenn, I really enjoy your telling of how you take you images.

6. Before blending was even a gleam in anyone's eye, I too did something to remove people from an image. My approach was to close the lens down to f22 and then using a ND filter I took a time exposure. My subject was the tunnel between the terminals at Chicago's O'Hare airport. The people were riding a moving walkway and just disappeared in the final image. It was taken at a time when the people count was quite low.

Your method is far superior and I love the final result you were able to obtain.

7. Thanks Allan...I'm glad the story wasn't too cumbersome to read!
    Thanks Gordon...back then, using a very long exposure was about the only way to try to remove people. The issue is that sometimes people don't always move very quickly and some people walk very close to the camera--and the resulting image ends up with ghosting. I find the ghosting even harder to remove than just trying to remove a stationary person--because the ghosting covers even space within the frame. Fortunately, we have new tools to make the process of removing people a bit cleaner.

Glenn

8. I sit here in awe of your ingenuity and skill--what a great solution, and such great awareness of the scene.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Wow!! Great image, and I am overwhelmed by your explanation of the process. I could never do that .... not enough patience!!

Ken

10. Thanks Nick...I appreciate it.
    Thanks Ken...there's no question that this kind of photography will test one's patience!

Glenn

11. asaya

asaya Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Tony Saya
    Pretty awesome Glenn love the storytelling and the results

12. microsnook

microsnook

Aug 24, 2011
    FL
    Glenn, glad to see you are still active on here. You were always an inspiration for me. Perfect interior shots and I loved looking at your landscapes. Great work

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  13. Thanks Tony
    Thanks Tyler...yes, my post count is getting quite high!

Glenn

14. Tinstafl

Tinstafl

Aug 6, 2008
    Virginia
    Thank you for explaining your process. It is the work of a master and don't say no. Amazing images and I have always enjoyed your shots. One day when I retire, not too long now, I will travel and shoot every baseball stadium.

15. Thanks John...you are too kind!

You just gave me an idea for a new photo project--baseball stadiums!

Glenn

16. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Excellent image, Glenn. Most folks don't realize the thought and work it takes to create such images. And all too many photographers aren't will to make the commitment to creating such a fine image!

Well done!

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  17. Thanks Karen...this kind of photography will test one's patience!

Glenn