Forgot to adjust the iso...

Discussion in 'People' started by Chad Gladstone, May 22, 2005.

1. I was shooting low light iso 1600 last night and low and behold, I left the iso at 1600. Pretty much ruined some usable shots this morning. I salvaged this one with neat image, sans detail. :cry: Figured it out later for the second shot. Concerning the second shot, what do you think of the bokeh?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Cute kids Chad, and the 1600 ISO shot came out OK.

3. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Nice looking shots Chad. That 1600 shot looks nice on the screen, did you try to print it to see how it comes out?

4. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Chad,

What are you talking about ? These look fine to me.

I love the pose setup in the first (I'll be adding that one to my arsenal 8^) )

For ISO 1600, really these look great (the 2nd one does have about +0.3EV too much but man - really these are fine !

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gotta tell ya the first one is outstanding. beautiful girls. Great pose and light. Really like the mood.

Personal opinion, I am not fond of the background color on the second one. I see to much red on the face and background.

6. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Hi chad,

I know what it feels like shooting away to realize that the ISO setting has been on high. Today I always double-check.

However, this first picture of yours is absolutely fantastic (great pose and expression). You really captured one of those priceless moments - so who cares if it's shot at 1600? On screen it looks perfectly OK.

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I like that jagged bokeh in #2 Chad. It gives the impression of something going on back there, but you can't tell exactly what. I also like the reddish color - it warms it up and emotionally charges the portrait. It does not look like reality, but I like that.

The only thing is that bright spot on her cheek. Maybe it gives something to the picture to 'peg' it with. That is, it make it memorable.

Oh, and #1 is family album nice.

8. AWE.....that's so sweet!! :D :D :D

9. I still do that all the time with the D70 and have had to rescue a few shoots as well. Wish they'd fix it so you can see the ISO info as you shoot!

10. Chad,

I've done the same thing a few times. You'd think 1/500 f9 would have been a clue! :D I now notice for that very reason - my camera is at 1/8000 f4 - just looks wrong. :)

BTW, the shot looks fine. Noise is not a problem for the D2H in daylight and a little NR works like a charm.

As for the bokeh in shot 2 - I like the color but don't like the double-image. Was that the VR or is the bg a reflection?

11. The bokeh: VR + TC & sharpening of oof elements is an ideal equation for less pleasing bokeh. But, I was too lazy to selectively sharpen the subject for web posting. (I asked the bokeh question because I personally find the blend of in and out of focus elements rather interesting). For the final print I selectively sharpened only the subject and it looks creamy - not nearly as harsh as the web image appears.