forgot to check the small things

this morning i went on ebay to guy a Z7 which at the start looked like an ok deal.
the tittle said shutter count 35 and had a picture of it., but the file name for hte shutter cound was DSC_821. wich would tell me it is at minimum 8211 for the shutter count right?
Note also i memory serves nikon only count to 9999 and the restart from 0, so in reality it could have X8211 as the shutter count or the body was "hacked".
contacting the seller he claims that the shutter count is correct and took an extra shot, in the new picture i notice his desctop image stating the picture is from 2018 and he is using software wich can alter the data at will.
i hope other can learn from my mistake and take a few more breaths before purchase.
Note i do admit this i probably my mistake for not checking and being more skeptical.

ps am making a case to use my buyers protection because of the things i noticed and not matching the description.
s-l16002.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
s-l1600.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

At first i thought i might have been a display kit with there have been a Z 24-70 F4 sold off separately, but then i noticed the file number not matching up.
AFter debating with the seller and the picture showing the time and date being off compared to file name.
when stating about the file name being wrong he claims he does not care or it is a known bug.
so now i hope ebay will get all my money back.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I won't buy on eBay. Here, FM, Robert's, used items from reputable stores - YES. eBay - NO!

BUT - so glad you were smart enough to spot the indications of a bad deal!

Note that silent (electronic) shutter exposures advance the image number count but are not the same as mechanical shutter count. It is possible for the camera to have taken 8K shutters but only 36 of them mechanical. The dates are still suspicious though. I gave up on Ebay years ago like Gary above.

There is also the suspicius par of the folder containing image 1 and 2, also containing 2 shuttercount images 1 called shuttercount_36 and one just shuttercount.
the lens data can be changed with software if not mistaken and the softwere he is using can alter every part as he pleases.

I think the file number can jump up like that if you insert a card in the camera with images from another camera and then take where it left off.

I'm also very hesitant to buy from eBay anymore, especially big ticket items.

But for the sake of discussion, what if you asked the seller to take a photo of today's newspaper (wild assumption he has one) and send you the photo straight from card without editing? I know Adobe software leaves it's mark on edited photos, but I suspect exiftool could alter shutter count while preserving date/time and everything else.
Just a thought experiment.
Peter

I'm also very hesitant to buy from eBay anymore, especially big ticket items.

But for the sake of discussion, what if you asked the seller to take a photo of today's newspaper (wild assumption he has one) and send you the photo straight from card without editing? I know Adobe software leaves it's mark on edited photos, but I suspect exiftool could alter shutter count while preserving date/time and everything else.
Just a thought experiment.
Peter
as you can see from one of the pictures above the shutter count is 36 there but the date is from december 2018, and there is 2 pictures of shutter count and 2 called image(in italien)
also he mentions Opanda and the program he is using in full version can edit most things in 2 minutes.
thested an old shot with my former Z50 in opanda demo i could edit time and date including the lens (almost everything) if i paid i could have altered the lens to a Z 70-200 f2.8 S lens if i wanted.

i know 8211 shots a nothing to a modern body. but if he is telling lies about the 35 shutter count. And it now saying 8211 on the file number, could the true number not be 20k or even 60k higher after the DSC number automaticly resets after DSC_9999.

JLH

Used camera on Ebay.....all I need to hear.... Same as used car on Ebay......... "Ebay....., stay away"

bought over 500 items (some more expensive) on ebay before with out issue, my failing this time was not to take my usual time. And scrutinize the pictures further looking at the smaller details.
Was in a rush after night shift had some arrends to sort out. and if my memmory serves i think i have only 1 or 2 times before had made an error buying online like this.

Update my money is now back in my account accept the paypal fee(greedy paypall)

now i am waiting until next saturday and see if some things have ligned up and will order myself a Z7II and maybe a Sigma 60-600 (hoping the dealer will give me a offer)
after a couple of weeks i considering giving it a full spectrum mod and start having some fun.

Latest threads

Top Bottom