Fork and Friends (8 photos)

I had a lot of fun making this series over the last ten days.

Setups
I didn't take the time to photograph the setups because there are so many photos in the series. The setups were very simple. Half of them involved just two continuous-light lamps and the others required only one. Only one photo required two dedicated white reflectors and only two others required even one. In the five remaining photos, the white background, when used, also served as a reflector. Focus stacking was used in all but photo #6.

Photo #1
Mike 2021-06-02--0002-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Photo #2
Mike 2021-06-02--0003-S.jpg

Photo #3
Mike 2021-06-02--0004-S.jpg

Photo #4
Mike 2021-06-02--0005-S.jpg

Photo #5
Mike 2021-06-02--0006-S.jpg

Photo #6
Mike 2021-06-03--0001-S.jpg

Photo #7
Mike 2021-06-10--0002-S.jpg

Photo #8
Mike 2021-06-12--0003-S.jpg

Very creative. really like 1-4, 7 & 8. I think 4 is my favorite, I like the symmetry of it, and the light/reflection in the spoon.

Wonderful series, Mike!
Really creative.
All are remarkable and appealing, #5 being my favourite of the set.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Wonderful, Mike!

Two years ago I won a second place in our local photo club with a similar picture.
Two forks and a white egg in front of a black background.

Stunning
Klaus

I had a lot of fun making this series over the last ten days.

Setups
I didn't take the time to photograph the setups because there are so many photos in the series. The setups were very simple. Half of them involved just two continuous-light lamps and the others required only one. Only one photo required two dedicated white reflectors and only two others required even one. In the five remaining photos, the white background, when used, also served as a reflector. Focus stacking was used in all but photo #6.

Photo #1
View attachment 1685093

Photo #2
View attachment 1685094

Photo #3
View attachment 1685095

Photo #4
View attachment 1685096

Photo #5
View attachment 1685097

Photo #6
View attachment 1685098

Photo #7
View attachment 1685099

Photo #8
View attachment 1685100
Some very nice work Mike...Lighing is wonderful, and I don't know how you got all the utensils spotless. Every time I try something like this I always find smudges or fingerprints. Think I'll revisit Light Camera Magic again.

Real Name
Dan
Pretty darn creative, Mike. When I look at spoons and forks I see.... spoons and forks. I really like nos. 2 and 5. I think maybe due to the contrasting geometry between the fork tines and smooth curve of the spoon. Well done.

Thank you to Binnur, Dan and John!

I don't know how you got all the utensils spotless.

I recently bought these utensils for use only as props with my food photography so I could avoid the inevitable scratch marks that come with use at the dining table. While they are in their best, brand-new condition, I photographed them as subjects. I use a lint-free rag and Windex to remove spots and fingerprints. I should then wear gloves when positioning them on the tabletop, but I rarely take that care.

I'll revisit Light Camera Magic again.
For those following along, the name of the book is Light: Science and Magic. Look up "family of angles" in that book, as making these photos is entirely about keeping light sources inside or outside the family of angles, depending on whether bright or dark tones, respectively, are wanted. One of the enjoyable details of photographing the utensils is that when areas of them were displayed in dark tones that I wanted displayed in bright tones, I used a white reflector to "paint" those areas in bright tones.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom