Formal Beach Portraits (bandwidth warning)

Okay, I won't bore you with the whole trip. But I ended up taking some formal portraits at this year's trip to Holden Beach NC. I regretted not having my extra SB-800's but made due with the on camera flash.

Comments always appreciated.

Tom

My middle girl, just graduated HS

original.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

original.jpg

My oldest daughter, whose heading off to London for her Fall semester:

original.jpg

And my youngest, who starts high school this fall:

original.jpg

Finally, my cousin's daughter and her fiancee - engagement portraits:

View attachment 11377

Chad was a quiet guy, who turned out to be quite playful. We really had fun with this session

View attachment 11378

Tom, you have a beautiful family! Gosh, I have two boys, maybe one day I'll get a little girl!!! I love the shot of your youngest!!! She glows w/the youthful innocence....Nice job.

Leigh said:
Tom, you have a beautiful family! Gosh, I have two boys, maybe one day I'll get a little girl!!! I love the shot of your youngest!!! She glows w/the youthful innocence....Nice job.

Thanks, Leigh and Gale, for your comments.

I'm a believer that every father should have a daughter. ;)

Tom

H

HardBall

tweber said:
Okay, I won't bore you with the whole trip. But I ended up taking some formal portraits at this year's trip to Holden Beach NC. I regretted not having my extra SB-800's but made due with the on camera flash.

Tom

original.jpg

I really like this one, Tom. Nice shot!

[/quote]

I really like this one, Tom. Nice shot![/quote]

Thanks HB. It was my overall favorite of Ellen, too. This one will go on the wall.

Tom

Tom they are lovely children and please take this in the spirit it was sent in. I think that perhaps they could use additional cropping the length of some of them detracts from the person face just my personal opinion.

huskey8 said:
Tom they are lovely children and please take this in the spirit it was sent in. I think that perhaps they could use additional cropping the length of some of them detracts from the person face just my personal opinion.

Thanks Richard. I welcome your ideas. That's why I put them up.

Tom

Real Name
Chris
Great shots Tom! And you have a beautiful group of gals there! The lighting is really good, especially considering that you were using the 'on-camera' flash!

I concur that the close-up of your middle daughter is the best composition, and she looks completely different in the two shots - you sure got a good portrait in the second one!

There is one thing I always do with portraits of women that I got from Scott Kelby's book, and that's to take any yellow out of teeth:

weberteethwhiten.jpg

If you do it on the full size image, and more subtly than I did here, she'll never notice.

Chris101 said:
Great shots Tom! And you have a beautiful group of gals there! The lighting is really good, especially considering that you were using the 'on-camera' flash!

There is one thing I always do with portraits of women that I got from Scott Kelby's book, and that's to take any yellow out of teeth:

If you do it on the full size image, and more subtly than I did here, she'll never notice.

Chris,

Great point on the teeth. Thanks for the tip. And I guess the SB-800 isn't exactly an on camera flash, but you get what i mean. ;)

Tom

Wonderful shots Tom

Other than the vert crop suggestion, & the teeth brightening, I'd add that in the engagement shots, they could've leaned into each other with their heads in #1, and he could've wrapped his hand around her waist more in #2. Like their expressions & head positions in 2, but his left arm looks lost & "funny".
Did you use the "PPP" from RRS on these?

Re: Wonderful shots Tom

Steve S said:
Other than the vert crop suggestion, & the teeth brightening, I'd add that in the engagement shots, they could've leaned into each other with their heads in #1, and he could've wrapped his hand around her waist more in #2. Like their expressions & head positions in 2, but his left arm looks lost & "funny".
Did you use the "PPP" from RRS on these?

Hi Steve,

Yes, I was using the portrait setup from RRS. It's a dream to use.

Thanks for your ideas. I shared #2 just because it was fun. It was a spontaneous move on the groom's part which I enjoyed, because he had appeared a bit reserved up to that point.

Tom

Really nice series Tom. You have a beautiful family. I am blessed with daughters as well...It is a beautiful thing!!! :D :D :D

tweber said:
Leigh said:

Thanks, Leigh and Gale, for your comments.

I'm a believer that every father should have a daughter. ;)

Tom

I have but one child - a daughter. Maybe I should add that every daughter should have a father such as you as you seem very close to your family.

HardBall said:
tweber said:

Tom

original.jpg

I really like this one, Tom. Nice shot!

This one is my favorite as well. You did a great job on all of these. What time of day did you shoot the photos?

[/quote]

This one is my favorite as well. You did a great job on all of these. What time of day did you shoot the photos?[/quote]

[/quote]

I have but one child - a daughter. Maybe I should add that every daughter should have a father such as you as you seem very close to your family.[/quote]

Thanks Christian. What a nice thing to say.

Terri,

It was the golden hour, just before sunset..

Tom

Latest threads

Top Bottom