Formatting Compact Flash Cards

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by sonuj2, May 11, 2007.

1. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Is it better to format a new CF card within the camera or should I format the card using the utility provided by the card manufacturer? I just got the Lexar 8GB 133X card and wanted to format it before using. I have formatted other lower capacity cards in my camera and have not had any issues but just wanted to play it safe, hence the question. Thanks in advance for your responses.

2. In the camera.

Rich

3. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Agree...

4. bruceh4

bruceh4

Jan 16, 2006
    Loudon, TN
    I agree, I all ways format my cards in the camera. In fact I have four cards which I rotate thru the camera. I format a card everytime I install it in the camera for use.

5. Same here. I always format the card in the camera, especially since I may be using the same card in different cameras (one day, the D200, the next day, the D2Xs, etc.). NEVER format the card in the computer!

6. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Thanks for all the responses.