Former D50, now D80 owners - glad??

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by randyr5, Jun 5, 2007.

1. randyr5

randyr5

Jan 14, 2006
    Michigan
    I have a D50 and am thinking of getting a D80. Are other former D50 owners out there glad that they made the switch? Thanks...

2. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Hi Randy. I have the D50 and bought the D80 about half a year ago and I'm not all that pleased.

With the D50 I always shot raw because I didn't like the quality of the jpg's. I found them too soft with lack of detail compared to raw. I had all settings set to 0 in the camera as I prefer to do the pp myself.

With the D80 I'm having trouble getting the same kind of sharpness and detail. It took a while to get the shots exposed right. It seemed to underexpose so I'm using exposure compensation a lot more on the D80 than on the D50. Also I like the auto white balance better on the D50.

Jpg's out of the camera is so much better on my D80 than my D50 so that's good. I also like the 10mp on the D80. It gives much more room for cropping and composing the picture. I like the menu system better on the D80. Much easier to deal with than the D50. I also love the shoots I see from the 2Dhs and they can be bought used quite cheap now.

But in the end it's IQ that counts and I had a lot more keepers with the D50 than the D80. Higher ISO shoots are better with the D50 too.

I'm actually thinking of selling my D80 again and maybe buying a D200 or wait and invest in some better glass, maybe a 70-200 VR.

3. Hi Randy...

Well I have to say that I have been extremely happy with my D80. It does everything it was suppose to do and all the extra features are just great. I still have and use my D50 all the time, either as a backup or I just mount the second lens that I might be using that day so I don't have to be changing lenses in less than ideal conditions. Why did I buy, well I liked the better view finder (with my eye sight it helped), and some of the extra features that it had, remote flash, and a finer selection of ISO settings to just mention a few. But not having these features didn't stop me talking great shots with the D50.

But I have to say that it took a month or two before I started getting good photos out of the D80, where the D50 is just so easy to use and get great shots from. I have spoken to a lot of people who have switched to the D80 from the D50 and they all complained that they have trouble at first getting the same IQ from it than they used to get from the D50...

But anyway, back to your question, you haven't said why you want to upgrade to the D80. If there are features on this camera that you want, well it is definitely worth getting, but if you are just feeling that you you should get it but not sure why, stick with the D50 is my suggestion, until you require or
    you just want the extra features...

4. randyr5

randyr5

Jan 14, 2006
    Michigan
    The main reasons that I'm considering upgrade are:

Flash Commander Mode
    Front and rear Command dials
    Better viewfinder
    DOF preview

The assignable Function button is nice, too.

5. ROD H

ROD H Guest

I have both and must admit the D 50 was easier to use, but the D 80 has so many more features, its worth the adjustments you need to make. I use center weighted metereing most of the time and I also use the Expodisc for white balance.

6. tommyc

tommyc

May 2, 2006
    Georgia
    The man in Brown just knocked at my door earlier today to drop off my D80. I love my D50, but after playing around with both of them side by side for most of the afternoon, I'm really glad I took the plunge. I might just have to work from home :wink: the rest of the week just to be sure I like it. :biggrin:

I've been looking at the D80 and the D200 in the stores for the last few weeks, but being able to use both side by side really make the differences a lot more noticeable.

7. randyr5

randyr5

Jan 14, 2006
    Michigan
    I did get the D80, but I'm also keeping my D50. It's just a great bang-for-the-buck camera.

8. matthew.paul

matthew.paul Guest

Good choice! I really wish I had kept my D50, but I just couldn't afford to! Oh well, I will most likely buy another one in a year or two.

9. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    I, too, found the D50 an incredibly simple camera with a high rate of keepers. The D80 in many ways is a completely different creature. The metering certainly has different priorities and this takes some getting used to. I initially used CW metering to avoid the problems but once I understood the preferences of the D80 MM better, I was able to work with it much more effectively.

Love the viewfinder, the LCD, the second command wheel, and.... the backlit info panel! (What mental pygmy at Nikon made the decision to forego that backlight on the D50?!)

I like ISO 100 and the more fully featured Auto ISO. Didn't think I'd use the flash Commander mode much but its turned out to be an outstanding feature and 'forced' me to upgrade my flash equipment since I now use it much more often!

The RGB histogram is very useful in certain situations once one learns how to use it.

Like the D200, the D80 is harder on glass, in my opinion. Softness, CA, etc., will show up quicker on the D80 than the D50. More MPs, weaknesses have nowhere to hide!

Initially, the additional MPs were not a big attraction for me but I've now seen the difference it makes with landscapes and the detail available in such captures. I generally crop with the viewfinder but have still grown to appreciate the larger files.... after upgrading my PC's RAM, of course!

I still have a couple of D50 bodies - one for back up and one is stored for the future. The back-up D50 sees less and less use as the D80 has pretty much taken the lead.

I would definitely do it again.

10. Vandyu

Vandyu

May 14, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    These are the reasons I bought the D80. Started with a D50 and loved the out of the box jpegs. Foolishly upgraded to a D70s, which I never liked because I couldn't get it to perform like the D50. But, I very much enjoy the D80, and I think you will, too, after you get used to it. By the way, I use the 18-135 kit lens, 18-200VR, and 70-300VR and love all of these lenses. I don't like carrying a lot of weight, so these do a good job for me.

11. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    I too traded my D50 on a D80, and everyone is correct, there are differences in the two which need some getting used to, but once you do, the D80 is just great.
    I did love the meter on the 50 ,so much so, I bought a factory refurb as a back up to the 80.
    I slap my 35f2 on the D50, and it becomes my lightweight P&S incognito walk around....

12. nykonian

nykonian

May 4, 2007
    New York
    My D80 is on the UPS truck at this moment :)  Hopefully I can get it before the weekend... can't wait to get rid of my D50.

13. If you can afford it, I'd keep the D50 as a back up... I did and it was the best decision I ever made, as its soooooooo handy having that second body, especially the D50.

Frank got a second one as well... Hey Frank,bet you wished you kept the first one instead of trading it in.....:rolleyes: 

14. nykonian

nykonian

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Wally, thanks for your advice. I am still waiting for the delivery. I'll make up my mind in a week.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.