Formula Drift: Round 5 Monroe WA

FD_Rockstar_Scion_Tanner_Foust_by_creationsbe.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

FD_Redbull_Hyundai_Genesis_by_creationsbe.jpg

Erik, great shots!

Question for you....since I'm also a D60 owner, do you find that having only 3 autofocus points makes shooting racing vehicles a real challenge :confused:

Erik, great shots!

Question for you....since I'm also a D60 owner, do you find that having only 3 autofocus points makes shooting racing vehicles a real challenge :confused:

Thanks for the question, at this event, the three focal zones made it a real challenge, if the cars were sliding to the right I would use the far right focal zone to get their smoke trail, and it would only really focus on the lead car, which made it unfortunate in some of the pictures.

But, I rented the Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm VR f/2.8 for this, what an amazing lens, was worth every penny.

Another pitfall of the D60 with this event is the FPS, 3 is not enough to catch all the action, which is why I will be upgrading here shortly to a D200 or D300.

I drooled over a few at the event and spoke with a nice guy about his D3, WOW :D I will post more photos later today, I have another memory card to go through, still working on the first card.

I supposed, here is another picture, this car was wrecked bad after the event.

FD_Hankook_Subaru_I_by_creationsbe.jpg

FD_Silvia_by_creationsbe.jpg

FD_Rockstar_Scion_I_by_creationsbe.jpg

FD_Redbull_Hyundai_Genesis_II_by_creationsbe.jpg

Wow creationsbe! I really like all of these, but that #2 shot and the 2nd to last (the Rockstar car) are outstanding! You did an excellent job with the panning. Any pointers you could give? Thanks!

Thanks for the comments guys.

If your going to be shooting a FD event, the pros are really QUICK so you have to be on your feet and ready. I would follow them from the start line pretty much, or as far as I could see, and follow around the bank. To get the wheels right you must slow your shutter down, this also helps with the background blurring. During the entire day I had to change it because as it got darker or lighter it would mess with the camera. So by the end of the day I was shooting at F3.2, or F2.8. During the day I was at F8/F11 on some.

Most were shot in Aperture Priority, but I did put it on Manual Mode for a good portion of them ;)

Red1, it looks like you would have the perfect setup for this, I believe FD comes to Irwindale, CA soon. It's sounding like I will be going to the FD World Finals :D

FD_Falken_Silvia_by_creationsbe.jpg

FD_Drift_Emporium_by_creationsbe.jpg

FD_Rockstar_Crash_by_creationsbe.jpg

Thanks for the question, at this event, the three focal zones made it a real challenge, if the cars were sliding to the right I would use the far right focal zone to get their smoke trail, and it would only really focus on the lead car, which made it unfortunate in some of the pictures.

Another pitfall of the D60 with this event is the FPS, 3 is not enough to catch all the action, which is why I will be upgrading here shortly to a D200 or D300.

Thanks for the response Erik! (and again, you've got some excellent captures!)
My D60 is only 2 months old - If I'd known the D3000 was coming with 11 auto-focus points & only $50 bucks more than the D60, I would've waited for the D3000.....

Oh well.....:redface:

Great pics! Mannnn I need to find out how to get my hands on a media pass.

I may be going to Irwindale, CA! If you want to go to that one and they would approve my site, I would for sure put you on staff for the event. :smile:

Thanks for the comments.

It is truly unfortunate on the releases of the D3000 and D5000. My D60 is being sold to my father at the end of this month :) It's almost confirmed that I am going for the D300, Irwindale will be fun! :wink:

For more photos you can check my dA account at creationsbe.deviantart.com as well as NWTuner.com.

I may be going to Irwindale, CA! If you want to go to that one and they would approve my site, I would for sure put you on staff for the event. :smile:

Thanks for the comments.

It is truly unfortunate on the releases of the D3000 and D5000. My D60 is being sold to my father at the end of this month :) It's almost confirmed that I am going for the D300, Irwindale will be fun! :wink:

For more photos you can check my dA account at creationsbe.deviantart.com as well as NWTuner.com.
Sounds awesome!

What date is FD Irwindale?

October 16-18 I believe, not sure how many Photographers I have to get in at the event, let me know if you would like to go though. Must be over 18 so you can sign your life away. ;)
I'm old enough to sign my life away :D

I'm pretty interested in going, I haven't gone to a drift event since I owned my s13 xD

Latest threads

Top Bottom