Formula Drift

Hey guys, has anyone here photographed at Road Atlanta Race Circuit? I'll be there as a spectator. I'll have a nikon D90 with a 70-300mm and a 10-24mm and a Canon 5D markII with a 70-200mm f2.8 with a 1.4 extender. I have a somewhat decent setup for a college student.

Does anyone know where the good spots are at Road Atlanta where Formula Drift is racing?

Hey Jeremy,

I’ve been to Road Atlanta for the past 5 Formula Drifts, and there are 2 main places to watch/take pictures. If you look at the track map, the main drifting events are done on that little u-turn above where it says Suzuki in blue, past turn 10B. The easiest place is on the outside of the track, and you’re 70-200 will work well there (there should be more room there). The next best place is on the inside of the track (right above the “S” of the Suzuki). The problem with there is that people have been setting up tents on that hill, making it hard to get in and out of that spot. But it’s worth it, because you’re only about 10 to 20 feet from the track there. You can go with any of your lenses there, but you might be too close with either 70-xxx lens.

Overall, I say walk around and take pics from different spots, and see what you like.

Have fun.

Tom

http://roadatlanta.com/trackmap.lasso

Inside of the Track:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Outside:

When you're on the inside, watch out when the cars come too close to the edge of the track (and get ready to cover your gear).

Wow thanks for huge amount of help man!!! Will you be going out there for this coming races? Maybe we can meet?

That goes for all of the members on this forum, if you are going to be there, lets meet up. My phone is 937-216-7702 and facebook me as well. I would love to meet more fellow photographers.

Not a problem at all. I won't know if I can make it up there this year until the day of (I have a tennis match, and a kids lacrosse tournament to go to), but if I can, I'll txt you (you can't hear anything at the track, and cell reception is pretty bad).

If we don't meet up, have fun, and post some pics when you get back.

Tom

Sounds great man...if you do go, see ya out there! I'll have a HUGE backpack on me. I also have a buz hair cut wearing a Radical Sportscars hat.

Drifting is really fun to shoot, wish I was out that side of the country. I think the 70-200 on the 5D should be fine, you probably won't need the TC but it doesn't hurt to bring it. The D90 will probably be best with the 10-24, although if you've got something midrange, even a kit lens, it might be worth trying as well.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom