Forster's terns...

Discussion in 'Birds' started by hegdent, Jul 30, 2008.

1. it has become a joy to shoot birds with my D3 as I always run in to some who is using it and learn something new...
    I think I will enjoy being a student of D3 for some times to come..

Now.. the terns..

One of the few exclusively North American terns, Forster's is so similar to the Common Tern that it was not recognized as a distinct species until 1831. Its preference for marshes enables it to avoid competition with the Common Tern, which favors sandy or pebbly beaches and rocky islands. It was named after Johann Reinhold Forster (1729-1798), a German pastor-naturalist who accompanied Captain Cook around the world in 1772.

1. [​IMG]
    2.[​IMG]
    3.[​IMG]
    4.[​IMG]
    5.[​IMG]
    6.[​IMG]

Thank you for looking.

Harish

2. wembley

wembley

Mar 26, 2006
    Naples, Fl
    harish:

Great set of tern action. I particularly like #5 knowing how hard it is to get them in a dive.

well done.

cheers
    wembley

3. Superb captures, that is a beautiful bird.

4. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    Very nice work Harish. I think you've got a few Elegant Terns in here too.

5. These are sweet. I always enjoy watching them fish although I've yet to capture them as well as you.

6. Timeout

Timeout

May 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Harish, excellent variety with the various different hovering and hunting poses! An especially nice catch on #5 with the caught fish and coming out of the water. That one is the Forster's, but agree with Gene; actually the rest I believe are Elegant Terns. :smile:

7. Thank you...
    I am learning more and that is exciting..
    Thank you all...
    Harish

8. Excellent series and thanks for the history lesson. I learned something too.

Les

9. Harish,
    this is a beautiful series
    i really appreciate you sharing them with us

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.